Oreo balls are a brilliant simple and downright irresistible 4-ingredient chocolate deal with you may make at house. Select common, golden, or one other taste of Oreo cookies, combine with a little bit cream cheese, and use white or darkish chocolate for coating every ball. Hold them plain or add some chocolate drizzles, festive sprinkles, or crushed Oreo cookies—they disappear off your dessert tray regardless of the way you beautify!
Together with peppermint bark and peanut butter balls, this is one of my favorite non-cookie goodies to fill a holiday cookie platter. Have you ever tried these before? They’re a super popular phenomenon and you’ll find recipes for them all over the internet. My dear friend, Amy, and I have been making them every December for nearly 2 decades. You need just 4 ingredients, and people always, always rave about them. What’s not to love?!
I’ve had a recipe for golden Oreo truffles on my website since 2012 and decided to turn it into an Oreo Balls post filled with different flavor ideas, decorating options, and all of my candy coating success tips. That’s what you’ll find today!
Here’s Why You’ll Love These Easy Treats
- You need just 4 ingredients
- No baking involved (save your oven for sugar cookies!)
- Like a chocolate truffle with a soft, rich Oreo cheesecake filling
- Choose your flavor of Oreo
- Choose white or dark chocolate for coating (or both!)
- Keep them plain, or decorate them for a holiday or theme
What Are Oreo Balls Made of?
- Oreo Cookies: For this recipe, we’re using 36 Oreo cookies. The type/flavor of Oreo makes a difference, as the amount of cream filling can vary—more on this below.
- Cream Cheese: 1 standard package (8 ounces/224g) of block-style cream cheese, not the spreadable kind from a tub. Let it soften to room temperature so it will mix easily with the Oreo crumbs.
- Melted Chocolate: Using real chocolate (not candy melts) for coating makes for the best-tasting, richest Oreo truffles. Chop up high-quality bars of baking chocolate. Do not use chocolate chips—the stabilizers in them prevent them from melting smoothly.
- Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil: Just a small amount of oil mixed in with the chocolate thins it out to make it easier to dip/coat the Oreo balls.
Let Me Show You How to Make These Easy Candies
Just like when making an Oreo cookie crust, a food processor or blender grinds the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs. If you don’t have one, you can place the Oreos in a plastic zipped-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. The whole cookie, cream filling and all.
Pulse until there are no more big chunks. Fine crumbs, like what is pictured above. ↑
Combine the crumbs with softened cream cheese. You can do this with a stand mixer or a hand mixer; or even just do it all in your food processor, if it’s large enough to accommodate the Oreo crumbs plus the cream cheese.
Next, scoop the mixture and roll into balls. You can use a cookie scoop for this, however I normally simply use a Tablespoon. Scoop a couple of Tablespoon of the Oreo truffle filling (about 18–22g), and use your palms to roll it right into a ball. The combination could be very moist, however ought to nonetheless be roll-able. If it appears overly moist, refrigerate the combination for quarter-hour after which attempt once more.
Place the Oreo balls on a plate or small baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place the tray within the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, or within the freezer for half-hour. You would additionally make these a day forward and refrigerate, then dip them the following day.
- Why can we chill the Oreo balls? You need the truffles chilly and strong as you dip them into chocolate. If they’re room temperature or nonetheless tender, they’ll crumble in your heat melted chocolate.
In the event you can, preserve half of them within the fridge when you begin dipping the opposite half in chocolate, as a result of they will soften up shortly whereas sitting out. This makes coating them in chocolate so much simpler.
What Varieties of Oreos Are Greatest to Use for These Truffles?
There at the moment are many, many sorts of the long-lasting Oreo. However they don’t simply fluctuate in coloration and taste; they will fluctuate in measurement and quantity of cream filling, too—so the kind of Oreo you utilize to make Oreo balls does make a distinction. Right here’s my recommendation:
- On the whole, follow basic Oreos, not Double-Stuf; like with an Oreo pie crust, the additional filling makes the crumb combination too greasy and moist and troublesome to type.
- Some flavors have further filling with out declaring “Double-Stuf” on the bundle. For instance, common and Golden Oreos weigh the identical, however Mint Creme Oreos weigh extra as a result of they’ve extra filling. However my crew and I’ve examined mint Oreo truffles, and they’re nonetheless doable… and scrumptious.
I normally get a number of questions on dipping candies, and after writing a complete cookbook about sweet, I’ve some recommendation that you just would possibly discover useful.
Let Me Present You Learn how to Dip Oreo Balls
- Begin with actual chocolate. For the best-tasting Oreo truffles, use actual chocolate, just like the 4-ounce “baking chocolate” bars discovered within the baking aisle of the grocery retailer. (I like Baker’s, Ghirardelli, Lindt, and Guittard manufacturers.) Don’t use chocolate chips. They’re nice for chocolate chip cookies, however since they include stabilizers, they don’t soften into the proper coating consistency. Sweet melts would work, however they don’t style like actual chocolate.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon oil. Place your chopped chocolate in a glass bowl or liquid measuring cup, and add a little bit oil (vegetable or coconut oil). The oil is elective, however I all the time embody it as a result of it thins out the melted chocolate and makes dipping/coating simpler (oil is an ingredient in sweet melts).
- Soften the chocolate. Whether or not you’re utilizing white or darkish chocolate, the melting course of is similar. You should use a double boiler or the microwave. Microwave the chocolate with the oil in 20-second increments, stirring after every, till easy. Chocolate can overheat simply, which is why we microwave it in brief bursts. I don’t suggest tempering the chocolate for this recipe. Tempered chocolate shouldn’t be refrigerated, and these Oreo balls have to be refrigerated.
- Let the chocolate calm down for about 5 minutes. In any other case it’s going to soften the chilly filling.
- Dip the Oreo truffles. Drop a relaxing Oreo ball within the melted chocolate and swirl it round to coat. I make a number of truffles and all the time use this helpful candy dipping tool, which is ideal for dipping spherical treats like chocolate truffles. Chances are high you don’t have a kind of, so a fork and a toothpick work too! Choose up the truffle with the fork—don’t pierce it, merely elevate it up on prime of the fork’s prongs. Faucet the fork on the sting of the bowl to permit the surplus chocolate to drip off. Use a toothpick to slip the truffle off the fork and onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Enable the chocolate to set. When you’ve got leftover chocolate, you may drizzle it on prime of the Oreo truffles—you need to use a spoon or squeeze bottle for that. Or prime with sprinkles or Oreo crumbs whereas nonetheless moist. Place the baking sheet within the fridge to set the chocolate.
Troubleshooting & Success Suggestions
If dipping these Oreo balls into chocolate is supplying you with some issues, listed below are some ideas:
- Chocolate is hardening earlier than I’m completed: That is a simple repair! First, ensure you are working shortly. Second, preserve the chocolate fluid by reheating within the microwave for 10 seconds or use a double boiler. In the event you don’t have a double boiler, spoon the chocolate right into a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water. This retains the chocolate barely heat. Don’t let the water contact the underside of the glass bowl.
- Chocolate is just too thick: Somewhat little bit of oil thins out the chocolate so it’s the most effective consistency for dipping. In the event you discover your chocolate remains to be too thick, add one other 1/4 teaspoon of oil.
- Oreo balls are falling aside: The chocolate is just too scorching. Let the chocolate sit for a couple of minutes to barely calm down after which attempt once more.
- Uncoated candies are dropping their form: If the Oreo balls are softening and dropping their form as you’re dipping them, put them again within the fridge or freezer for five–10 minutes after which attempt once more. In the event you can, preserve half of them within the fridge/freezer when you begin dipping the opposite half in chocolate, as a result of they will soften up shortly whereas sitting out.
Non-compulsory Garnishes—Have Enjoyable!
For these simple no-bake treats, mix crushed Oreos with cream cheese and type into balls earlier than dipping in melted chocolate. Adorn with sprinkles or a drizzle of white chocolate for further aptitude. Everybody loves these and they’re really easy to make!
- Make the Oreo truffle filling: Place the Oreos (your complete cookies, filling and cookie) in a meals processor or blender. Pulse right into a high-quality crumb.
- Utilizing a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or simply proceed utilizing the meals processor if it’s massive sufficient), beat/pulse the Oreo crumbs with the softened cream cheese till mixed.
- Utilizing a Tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the combination (about 18–22g every) and, utilizing your palms, roll right into a ball. Place balls on baking sheets or plates lined with parchment paper. If the combination is just too sticky, refrigerate for quarter-hour earlier than rolling into balls. Cowl and refrigerate the balls for a minimum of 1 hour and as much as 3 days. In the event you’re in a rush, cowl and freeze the balls for half-hour. (Don’t freeze for much longer than that, until you switch them to the fridge after half-hour.)
- Soften the chocolate: Place chopped chocolate in a glass bowl or a 2-cup liquid measuring cup—its depth makes dipping very easy. Soften in 20-second increments within the microwave, stirring after every increment, till fully melted and easy. It’s also possible to soften the chocolate utilizing a double boiler, or a heatproof bowl positioned over a pot of simmering water. Stir always till melted. Let the nice and cozy chocolate sit for five minutes to barely cool earlier than dipping, in any other case it’s going to soften the formed Oreo balls.
- Coat the Oreo balls: Working with one Oreo ball at a time, submerge into the melted chocolate and swirl to coat; rigorously elevate out utilizing a fork or dipping tool. Faucet the fork/software gently on the aspect of the bowl/measuring cup to let extra chocolate drip off. Use a toothpick to assist slide the truffle off of the fork and onto a lined plate or baking sheet; or, if utilizing the sweet dipping software, flip the wrong way up to launch.
- Non-compulsory garnishes: If desired, prime with sprinkles or Oreo crumbs whereas the chocolate remains to be moist. When you’ve got leftover or one other melted chocolate, use a spoon or a squeeze bottle to drizzle it throughout the tops of the dipped truffles.
- Refrigerate balls for a minimum of 1 hour to permit the chocolate to set earlier than serving. As soon as chocolate is ready, you may retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge, layered with parchment or wax paper, for as much as 2 weeks.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You can begin this recipe 1 day forward of time. The formed balls may be chilled within the fridge for as much as 3 days previous to coating with chocolate. You’ll be able to freeze the completed Oreo truffles for as much as 2–3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Food Processor (I additionally love this one) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Liquid Measuring Cup | Candy Dipping Tool | Squeeze Bottle
- Oreos: My crew and I’ve examined this recipe with common, Golden, and Mint Creme Oreos. This recipe is for 36 standard-size Oreo cookies. Don’t use Double-Stuf. Peanut butter-flavored Oreos additionally work properly.
- Cream Cheese: Use block-style cream cheese, not the spreadable type that is available in a bath.
- Chocolate: For the most effective wanting and tasting Oreo truffles, use 4-ounce (113g) “baking chocolate” bars discovered within the baking aisle. I favor Baker’s, Guittard, or Ghirardelli manufacturers. You want 3 4-ounce (113g) bars for this recipe, 12 ounces (339g) complete. You should use milk, semi-sweet, bittersweet, or white chocolate. You would additionally use chocolate melting wafers, equivalent to Ghirardelli model. Sweet melts work too, however they don’t style like actual chocolate. Don’t use chocolate chips as a result of they include stabilizers stopping them from melting into the proper consistency for coating.
- Oil: I soften the chocolate with a small quantity of oil to skinny it out and make it simpler to coat the Oreo balls. You should use vegetable or coconut oil.
- Coating/Melting Chocolate: See all my troubleshooting suggestions above within the submit.
- Do Not Mood: I don’t suggest tempering the chocolate for this recipe. Tempered chocolate shouldn’t be refrigerated and, because of the cream cheese within the filling, these truffles have to be refrigerated.
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail sequence is a good place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.