Bublanina, a Czech sponge cake, which has an identical texture to espresso cake and is paying homage to a French clafoutis, is agreeable to the attention and much more pleasing to the palate with its mild, ethereal batter gently kissed with hints of lemon and vanilla. In line with custom, it’s dappled with one of the best summertime has to supply—gleaming darkish cherries, juicy blackberries, and tart raspberries, which nestle gently into the tender cake because it bakes. It will get its title from the Czech phrase for “bubble,” referring to the way in which the batter rises up and gently envelops the fruit. A dusting of confectioners’ sugar is the ultimate contact to this delicately understated and all the time delectable Bublanina.
Click on right here to obtain a printable PDF of this lesson, or maintain scrolling to view our digital lesson.
Glorious recipes require great substances. Right here’s how our recipe’s substances contribute to creating the easiest Bublanina.
UNBLEACHED CAKE FLOUR: Unbleached cake flour makes a extra tender cake than all function flour as a result of cake flour is constituted of comfortable wheat. With a 5% to eight% protein content material, unbleached cake flour supplies a really perfect quantity of protein, giving our Bublanina the right construction.
BAKING POWDER: Most baking powders are double-acting, which means the response happens twice, utilizing two completely different acids. The primary is a fast response when baking powder is mixed with a liquid within the batter. The second response is slower, occurring when the cake bakes.
KOSHER SALT: Kosher salt has a pure, clear taste as a result of it doesn’t include iodine or minerals. It’s flaked somewhat than granulated, permitting for extra even distribution when whipped into the cake batter.
EGGS: Eggs assist in leavening the cake, contribute richness with their yolks, and add moisture to the sponge cake.
CREAM OF TARTAR: Including a small quantity of cream of tartar helps velocity up the formation of air bubbles when whipping the egg whites. It additionally aids in stabilizing the whipped egg whites within the batter and helps them maintain their quantity.
GRANULATED SUGAR: Granulated sugar does greater than add sweetness to the cake. Sugar acts as a whipping aide when stabilizing the egg whites. It additionally incorporates air into the batter because it’s creamed with the butter. Sugar has hygroscopic properties, which means it may well take in water from the encompassing surroundings. Due to this, the Bublanina will retain
moisture even after being baked and cooled, resulting in an extended shelf life.
UNSALTED BUTTER: As a result of butter is significant to the feel and richness of the cake, a European-style butter with a better fats content material than generic grocery retailer butter will yield one of the best outcomes. For the reason that salt content material can fluctuate throughout butter manufacturers, we use unsalted butter to manage the precise quantity of salt desired.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Vanilla extract is a magical ingredient that provides prompt depth of taste and complexity to this cake.
LEMON ZEST: A contact of lemon zest boosts the cake’s taste delicately but distinctively.
FRESH FRUIT: Cherries are conventional, however any stone fruit or mixture of berries will work for this cake.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
We suggest this set of instruments for our method
STAND MIXER: As a valuable energy- and time-saver, a stand mixer will assist whisk egg whites with the cream of tartar into foamy submission and effortlessly beat collectively the butter and sugar for the cake batter. (Pictured is the KitchenAid® Artisan Design Series Blossom Stand Mixer.)
ROUND CAKE PAN: Designed to bake evenly, this lovely, golden commercial-quality pan is crafted of aluminized metal for distinctive sturdiness, making the pan best for baking the Bublanina. (Pictured is the Williams Sonoma Goldtouch® Pro Nonstick Round Cake Pan, 9”.)
SIEVE: We love this heavy-duty stainless-steel sieve. It’s fitted with ergonomically formed handles that make it comfy to raise and maintain when sifting dry substances and dusting the cake with a heavenly sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar. (Pictured is the All-Clad 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Strainer Set.)
CHERRY PITTER: Cherry-pitting is extremely painless with this time-saving software. The splatter guard retains you and your kitchen from getting sprayed with juices as you pit a whole bowl of cherries with grace and ease. (Pictured is the OXO Cherry & Olive Pitter.)
OFFSET SPATULA: A small offset spatula provides you optimum management when spreading the batter evenly into the cake pan. (Pictured is the Williams Sonoma Olivewood Offset Icing Spatula, 4”.)
GRATER: This rasp grater is right for zesting lemon, with its razor-sharp stainless-steel enamel that permit for grating in each instructions, which saves time and vitality. (Pictured is the Microplane® Rasp Grater.)
GLASS BOWLS AND SPATULAS: You’ll be able to’t beat the fundamentals for all of your baking wants. Glass bowls are the right vessels for measuring, prepping, and mixing all of your substances. Spatulas are good for stirring and folding the batter effortlessly. (Pictured are the Glass Mixing Bowl 10-Piece Set and Williams Sonoma Ultimate Silicone Spatula Set with Stainless-Steel Handle.)
- 1 cup (125 grams) unbleached cake flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 3 giant eggs (150 grams), separated and room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups assorted recent berries or ½-inch-chopped stone fruit (see Notice)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch spherical cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line backside of pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift collectively flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high velocity till foamy. Scale back mixer velocity to medium-low, and add ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar in a gradual, regular stream. Improve mixer velocity to medium excessive, and beat till medium-stiff peaks kind. Switch to a medium bowl.
- Clear bowl of stand mixer. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar at medium velocity till fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, separately, beating till mixed after every addition; scrape backside and sides of bowl. Beat at medium-high velocity till mild and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Add egg white combination to butter combination in three additions alternately with flour combination, starting and ending with egg white combination, folding by hand till simply mixed after every addition. Gently unfold batter into ready pan. Place fruit on batter. (Don’t press fruit into batter.)
- Bake till golden brown and a wood decide inserted in middle comes out clear, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Take away from pan, and serve heat or at room temperature. Simply earlier than serving, garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
For this cake, deal with the amount of the fruit somewhat than the burden. Pit and halve cherries earlier than measuring.
TIME TO SIFT
Sifting breaks up lumps within the flour and aerates the remaining dry substances, making it simpler to combine into the batter
1. In a medium bowl, sift collectively flour, baking powder, and salt. Sifting ensures all of the dry substances will evenly distribute within the batter.
Whipped egg whites bolstered by cream of tartar assist give the cake its lovely top and pleasant texture
1. Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high velocity till foamy. Scale back mixer velocity to medium-low, and add ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar in a gradual, regular stream. Improve mixer velocity to medium-high, and beat till medium-stiff peaks kind. Switch to a medium bowl. Granulated sugar and cream of tartar assist within the stabilization of the egg whites, however ensure you add the sugar in a gradual, regular stream; this ensures that the sugar will dissolve into the egg whites as an alternative of giving the combination a grainy texture. Additionally, you don’t need to deflate all the beautiful air you whipped into the egg whites, which provides the cake a stunning mild texture.
BEATING THE BATTER
Dreamily creamed butter and sugar and gloriously golden yolks give the cake texture and great taste
1. Clear bowl of stand mixer. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar at medium velocity till fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, separately, beating till mixed after every addition; scrape sides of bowl. Beat at medium-high velocity till mild and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Be sure that your butter is softened appropriately for this step, not too chilly or heat. Softened butter ought to have some resistance if you gently press it, nevertheless it ought to nonetheless maintain its form. Because the butter and sugar are overwhelmed collectively, the combination aerates or creates numerous tiny bubbles, contributing to the cake’s quantity. The extra bubbles you might have in your community, the lighter in texture your cake can be and the finer the crumb. Don’t skip the step the place you scrape the perimeters of the blending bowl. It ensures that the butter, sugar, and eggs mix cohesively, leading to a homogenized batter.
EASY DOES IT
Now that we’ve included air into the butter combination and the egg whites, it’s time to fold all the things collectively gently and adorn the batter with jewel-toned summer season fruit
1. Add egg white combination in three additions alternately with flour combination, starting and ending with egg white combination, folding by hand till simply mixed after every addition. Gently unfold batter into ready pan. Place fruit on batter. (Don’t press fruit into batter.) Fastidiously folding the egg whites in at this step is vital to an attractive, ethereal cake. Though cherries are a conventional alternative, any mixture of berries or stone fruit can be incredible dotted on the highest of this Bublanina.