This candy potato casserole recipe is elevated with a number of kitchen staples that take it from simply plain good to extraordinary! Make it forward to save lots of time on Thanksgiving! Recipe features a how-to video!
Our Favourite Candy Aspect Dish
My household requests (calls for) I make this candy potato casserole recipe yearly for Thanksgiving. It’s a staple facet dish on our vacation desk, holding its personal amongst its ever-popular friends (inexperienced been casserole and sausage stuffing, in our home anyway!).
A number of issues to find out about my recipe:
- It’s nice for making prematurely! Save your self a while and problem the day-of and put together the candy potato casserole as much as 3 days prematurely (detailed notes beneath and within the recipe). One much less factor to emphasize over on Thanksgiving day!
- Unparalleled taste. My recipe has a number of distinctive twists that set it other than the others. Maple syrup, a splash of cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla all make an look for an unimaginable taste.
- It’s hearty and satisfying. Eggs and cream assist stabilize the dish and stop it from changing into too runny (a standard criticism with many candy potato casserole recipes).
- Make it as easy or chunky as you want! I personally want mine to be extra easy (and have ideas within the submit in case you are searching for a really easy texture!), however some folks want a heartier texture.
- Balances the dinner desk. Brings slightly sweetness to all of the savory dishes on the Thanksgiving dinner desk.
What You Want
This recipe is taken into account a facet dish for the dinner desk, however the ingredient listing definitely reads rather a lot like a dessert, doesn’t it!? Listed below are an important elements you will want (apart from candy potatoes, in fact!).
- Melted butter. I attempted this candy potato casserole recipe with browned butter considering that may be a slam dunk for taste, however surprisingly I couldn’t even inform the distinction! So we’ll preserve issues straightforward and stick to common melted butter.
- Brown sugar. I want darkish brown sugar since it’s sweeter and has extra molasses, however you would use mild brown.
- Cinnamon and vanilla. Whereas cinnamon and vanilla aren’t essentially conventional, I discover that these taste boosters are what actually set my candy potato casserole recipe aside. If you happen to made a batch of selfmade vanilla extract in your vacation baking, be at liberty to make use of it right here!
- Maple syrup. I like the flavour that maple syrup provides right here. Be sure that to make use of the actual stuff, not pancake syrup. If you happen to don’t like maple syrup or don’t have any readily available, you may simply use one other 3 tablespoons of brown sugar as a substitute.
- Pecans and mini marshmallows. I like utilizing pecans right here (they are typically a Thanksgiving custom!), however walnuts would work equally effectively, or you may go away the nuts out fully. To up their taste, toast the pecans earlier than including them.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t overlook the salt! I exploit salted butter and salt to assist counteract all of the candy. If you happen to solely have unsalted butter readily available, add a further pinch of salt (about ⅛ teaspoon).
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Find out how to Make It
- Pierce your candy potatoes throughout with a fork, then place them on a baking sheet and bake till tender. This takes about 45-60 minutes for me, however will clearly be much less time in case your potatoes are smaller, and extra if yours are bigger.
- Let the potatoes cool, then peel off the skins and discard them. My canines love this half, as they get the skins as a snack with their dinner.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, stopping when you obtain your required texture. I wish to make mine fairly easy, however in the event you like yours chunky, that’s completely high quality!
- Add all elements besides the pecans and marshmallows and stir till every part is effectively mixed, then unfold right into a 9×13″ dish.
SAM’S TIP FOR A SMOOTH SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE: Candy potatoes are naturally stringy, so you must anticipate a few of this texture. Nevertheless, if you would like a completely easy casserole, there’s a method! After cooking your potatoes, peel them and drop them in your meals processor (you could want to do that in batches). Pulse till easy, then keep on with the recipe. That is really my private most popular methodology, however my household likes the pure texture.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the dish (in the event you’re utilizing them, in any other case skip this step!) ensuring to evenly distribute them.
- Scatter the mini marshmallows over the pecan layer, then place in your preheated oven and bake for 25-Half-hour. The marshmallows ought to get good and golden within the oven.
- Let the casserole cool for a couple of minutes earlier than serving and having fun with.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sure! Put together your casserole however don’t add the pecans and marshmallows. Cowl and place within the fridge; the casserole could be saved for as much as three days this manner.
As soon as you might be able to bake, convey the casserole out of the fridge, uncover, and let it sit for Half-hour at room temperature. Add the pecans and marshmallows, then bake at 375F (190C) for 25-Half-hour.
Sure! If you happen to do, skip the baking and peeling step and easily drain your candy potatoes earlier than mashing and mixing with the opposite elements. Be sure you don’t purchase the sort offered in syrup, as they are going to be too candy.
I bake the potatoes as a result of I feel I get finest/most uniform outcomes that method, however you would at all times peel and boil them like when making mashed potatoes.
Does your loved ones love candy potatoes? My candied yams are one other nice possibility!
Get pleasure from!
Candy Potato Casserole
Servings: 12 servings
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Bake the potatoes: Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Pierce every potato throughout with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake in oven till tender when pierced with a fork, about 45-60 minutes.
3 lbs (1.4 kg) candy potatoes
Cool. Let the potatoes cool till straightforward to deal with then take away the skins.
Non-obligatory, for easy texture: candy potatoes are naturally a bit stringy. If you would like a easy texture, pulse the candy potatoes in batches in your meals processor earlier than shifting on to the following step. If you happen to do not thoughts the extra pure texture, skip this step.
Mash. Place candy potatoes in a big mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher till there are not any massive chunks remaining (in the event you want a chunkier texture, be at liberty to go away some chunks behind).
Combine. Add heavy cream, melted butter, sugar, eggs, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to the mashed candy potatoes, stir till well-combined. I want to make use of an electrical mixer to make the combination as easy as doable, that is elective.
¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream, ⅓ cup (76 g) salted butter, ½ cup (100 g) darkish brown sugar, 2 massive eggs, 3 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon salt
Add pecans & marshmallows. Unfold combination evenly into 9”x13” baking dish. Scatter pecans evenly over high of potatoes (if utilizing), then scatter mini marshmallows evenly over the pecans.
1 cup (120 g) chopped pecans, 2 ½ cups (141 g) mini marshmallows
Bake. Switch baking dish to heart rack of 375F (190C) oven and bake for 25-Half-hour, till marshmallows are deeply golden browned.
Serve. Enable to chill for a number of minutes then serve.
To arrange prematurely, put together by step 3, then unfold evenly into meant baking dish. Don’t high with pecans or marshmallows. Cowl tightly and refrigerate for as much as 3 days. When able to bake, let sit at room temperature for about Half-hour, then sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows and bake as indicated.
Retailer tightly coated or in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 223mg | Potassium: 461mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 16363IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.