This Chocolate Mousse Cake is a basic. It’s made up of three layers of moist chocolate cake divided by two layers of clean and creamy chocolate mousse. The entire thing is roofed in a lightweight chocolate whipped cream frosting. Decadently scrumptious!
Wealthy & Decadent Chocolate Mousse Cake
There’s nothing fairly like a wealthy, silky chocolate mousse. When mixed with a moist, tender chocolate cake, you have got probably the most fantastic cake – good for celebrations or satisfying a chocolate craving. This chocolate mousse cake is that chocolate cake. In the event you’ve ever made my Raspberry Chocolate Cake or my Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake, you’ve already made the cake itself earlier than. It’s at all times successful and tremendous straightforward to make. It’s similar to my favourite Chocolate Cake, however a contact extra sturdy, which works nicely for the layering on this cake.
The three layers of chocolate cake are layered with a conventional, decadent, clean chocolate mousse. There aren’t any shortcuts right here. We’re utilizing real-deal chocolate mousse. The entire thing is roofed with chocolate-infused whipped cream frosting and garnished with chocolate sprinkles. Every side of this cake is loaded with chocolate taste and is bound to wow the chocolate lovers in your life.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Mousse Cake
In case the phrases “chocolate mousse cake” didn’t already have you ever working to the kitchen with out additional thought, right here’s a listing of a few of my favourite issues about this cake. It’s a must to attempt it.
- No fancy mixing technique. The batter is really easy to whip up. You’ll be shocked at how shortly you can be popping the desserts within the oven.
- Wealthy and decadent. In the event you’re a chocolate lover like me, this cake will knock your socks off. It’s brimming with wealthy chocolate taste. Get that chilly glass of milk prepared.
- Moist. The cake layers themselves are completely moist, making this dessert a dream to sink your tooth into.
- Actual chocolate mousse. Some chocolate mousse desserts will take shortcuts in terms of the mousse filling. Not this one. The filling for this cake is a real-deal chocolate mousse. It’s extremely wealthy and splendidly silky clean. Make a double batch and luxuriate in it as is!
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a listing of what you will want to make this sinfully scrumptious layer cake. Make sure to scroll to the recipe card beneath for precise measurements.
- All-purpose flour – Be at liberty to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as an alternative.
- Pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda and Baking powder – These two leavenings provide you with finest texture and rise on this cake. It’s tremendous tender, but additionally sturdy.
- Salt – Salt amplifies the flavors within the cake. Don’t depart it out.
- Milk – I recommend utilizing entire milk or 2%. Dairy-free? Strive a full-fat, unsweetened diary different similar to oat milk or cashew milk.
- Vegetable oil – This cake makes use of oil as an alternative of butter and is tremendous moist.
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs – Make sure to use massive measurement eggs.
- Sizzling water – For added moisture with out extra fats to weigh the cake down. The warmth helps the cocoa bloom to offer the chocolate cake a extra intense taste.
- Egg yolks – These thicken the mousse and add to the wealthy and creamy texture.
- Heavy whipping cream – Ought to be chilly as a way to whip correctly.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – I like to recommend semi-sweet chocolate. You would use darkish chocolate. Milk chocolate may additionally be high quality, however it doesn’t agency up fairly as a lot, so the mousse could also be just a little softer.
- Powdered sugar – To assist stabilize the whipped cream.
Chocolate whipped cream frosting
- Heavy whipping cream – The heavy whipping cream have to be chilly. In any other case, it won’t whip up and maintain quantity correctly.
- Powdered sugar – To stabilize the whipped cream in order that it by no means wilts.
- Pure unsweetened cocoa – Dutch-processed cocoa powder will work as nicely. Simply word that the chocolate taste shall be extra intense and a bit extra bitter. It’ll even be darker in coloration.
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate sprinkles
Learn how to Make Chocolate Mousse Cake
Three cake layers, chocolate mousse filling, and chocolate whipped cream frosting. It’d sound like loads however I promise that for those who take your time and observe my directions carefully, you’ll find yourself with an extremely scrumptious, lovely layer cake. Right here’s methods to make it. Scroll to the recipe card beneath for extra detailed directions.
Make the cake
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F, line the bottoms of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper, and grease the edges.
- Mix the dry substances. Combine collectively the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the moist substances. Combine collectively the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Mix the moist and dry substances. Add the moist substances to the dry substances and beat till nicely mixed.
- Slowly add the new water and blend to mix.
- Bake. Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool. Permit the desserts to chill of their pans for 2-3 minutes earlier than transferring to a cooling rack to chill utterly.
For the chocolate mousse
- Warmth the egg yolks, sugar, and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream within the prime of a double boiler over simmering water for 7-10 minutes, whisking always. Take away from the warmth and put aside.
- Soften the chocolate. Microwave the chocolate chips in intervals of 10-15 seconds, stirring nicely between every, till melted and clean.
- Whisk the chocolate into the egg yolk combination. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Whip 1 1/4 cups of heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff peaks kind.
- Put all of it collectively. Fold 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate combination. Fold 1/4 of the chocolate combination into the whipped cream. Fold the remaining chocolate combination into the whipped cream.
Construct the cake
- Degree the tops of the chocolate desserts with a big serrated knife.
- Put together the meeting pan. Use a clear cake collar (proven within the pictures) or an 8×3 inch cake pan (I like to recommend a springform pan) to construct the cake. See the recipe card beneath for detailed directions on what to do for those who don’t have a springform pan.
- Stack and fill. Place the primary cake layer within the backside of the cake pan. Unfold half of the chocolate mousse over the cake. Add the second cake layer and unfold the remaining mousse over the cake earlier than including the ultimate cake layer.
Frost and enhance
- Make the frosting. Whip the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, pure unsweetened cocoa, and vanilla extract on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Take away the cake from the fridge and launch it from the springform pan.
- Frost the skin of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream and pipe swirls across the outer prime fringe of the cake. Beautify with chocolate sprinkles.
- Refrigerate till able to serve.
Suggestions for Success
Intimidated by making this multifaceted layer cake? To not fear. I’ve obtained you lined with some useful ideas and tips that can set you up for achievement. Right here they arrive.
- Don’t over-mix. When combining the moist and dry substances, don’t overmix the batter. It will trigger the glutens within the flour to overdevelop and can depart you with a tricky, dense cake.
- Scrape the edges of the bowl as you add substances and blend them in. It will assist be certain that the entire substances make it into the batter and are included evenly.
- Not too scorching. When cooking the egg yolk combination over the double broiler (for the mousse), don’t let the water boil otherwise you’ll find yourself with scrambled eggs. You simply need the water to be at a simmer. I recommend lifting the bowl often to launch steam from beneath.
- Hold it transferring. When cooking the egg yolk combination for the mousse, it is necessary that you just whisk constantly. This not solely helps incorporate air and quantity into the combination however it should additionally assist maintain you from ending up with scrambled eggs.
- Be mild with the mousse. When folding the chocolate combination into the whipped cream and vice versa, achieve this gently with a rubber spatula in order to not knock the air out of the mousse.
- Let the chocolate cool. Make sure that the egg yolk-chocolate combination has cooled utterly earlier than folding it into the whipped cream for the mousse. In any other case, it should soften the whipped cream and knock the quantity out of it.
- Chilly heavy cream. Make sure that the heavy whipping cream used to make the frosting is chilly. It is going to whip up and maintain quantity higher.
- Let the desserts cool. Earlier than stacking, filling, and frosting the cake it’s essential to permit the cake layers to chill. In any other case, the mousse and the frosting will slide proper off.
- No mess meeting. I extremely advocate utilizing a springform pan right here however, for those who do not need one, assemble the cake on a cardboard cake circle with the assistance of a transparent cake collar. You should use an 8×3 inch cake pan as an alternative however make sure that to organize it correctly. Place a big piece of plastic wrap within the cake pan in order that it covers the bottoms and sides. It will assist you carry the cake out of the pan. Line the underside (over the plastic wrap) with a cardboard cake circle and line the edges of the pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper ought to stick up above the highest fringe of the pan to forestall overflow.
Can The Mousse Be Ready in Advance?
I don’t advocate making the mousse prematurely of including it to the cake. It is going to agency up within the fridge and also you’d must stir it again up earlier than utilizing it later, which may trigger it to deflate. You may undoubtedly make the cake layers prematurely although. And with the all of the moisture within the cake and chocolate mousse, you’ll be able to simply make the complete cake a day or so prematurely. It holds up very nicely.
Learn how to Retailer This Chocolate Mousse Layer Cake
If you end up with leftover chocolate mousse cake, retailer it in an hermetic cake service or let it chill for a few hours within the fridge earlier than wrapping the entire thing in a double layer of plastic wrap. Use toothpicks to prop the plastic away from any decorations. Already sliced it? Prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. No matter technique you select, you’ll be able to retailer the cake within the fridge for 4 to five days.
You too can freeze this cake. Pop it within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap and storing it within the freezer for as much as 3 months. In the event you already sliced the cake, organize the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container and retailer it within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let the cake thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Decadent Chocolate Desserts
In a chocolate type of temper? Good. Me too. All the time. Listed here are a couple of different heavenly chocolate desserts. Pour your self a glass of chilly milk and take your self on a chocolate cooking spree.
Watch How It’s Made
Chocolate Mousse Cake with three layers of moist chocolate cake and two layers of clean & creamy chocolate mousse – all lined in chocolate whipped cream!
- 1 3/4 cups (228g) all objective flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 massive eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) scorching water
- 4 massive egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 1 3/4 cup (420ml) heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (227g) semi candy chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
Chocolate whipped cream frosting
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) heavy whipping cream, chilly
- 3/4 cup (68g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (57g) pure unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sprinkles
Make the cake and chocolate mousse
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and put together three 8 inch cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper within the backside.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a big mixer bowl and mix. Put aside.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- Add the moist substances to the dry substances and beat till nicely mixed. Slowly add the new water to the batter and blend on low pace till nicely mixed. Scrape down the edges of the bowl as wanted to ensure all the pieces is nicely mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ready cake pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out with a couple of moist crumbs.
- Take away desserts from oven and permit to chill for 2-3 minutes, then take away to a cooling rack to complete cooling.
- When the desserts have cooled, make the chocolate mousse. Mix the egg yolks, sugar and 1/2 cup (120ml) of heavy whipping cream within the prime of a double boiler (or in a steel mixing bowl set over a pot of simmering water). Don’t let the water boil, or it’ll get too scorching. Often carry the bowl to launch steam. Prepare dinner the egg combination, whisking always. It’ll be prepared when it has thickened, lightened a bit in coloration and has extra quantity. It ought to take about 7-10 minutes and attain 160°F (71°C). When completed, take away it from the warmth and put aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and microwave in intervals of 10-15 seconds, stirring nicely between every, till melted and clean. You would additionally use the double boiler once more.
- Add the chocolate to the egg combination and whisk till clean. Set the combination apart to chill to room temperature.
- In a mixer bowl, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups (300ml) of heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff peaks kind.
- Fold about 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate combination till mixed, then fold about 1/4 of the chocolate combination into the whipped cream. Slowly fold the remaining chocolate combination into the whipped cream.
Construct the cake
- Degree the tops of the chocolate desserts by utilizing a big serrated knife.
- The cake may be inbuilt an 8×3 inch cake pan (springform can be best) or with a clear cake collar. In case you are utilizing a cake pan to construct the cake, put a cardboard cake circle within the backside of the pan. If not utilizing a springform pan, you’ll be able to put some plastic wrap within the backside of the pan and up the edges and use it to carry the cake out of the pan when it’s completed. Line the edges of the cake pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper ought to stick up above the highest fringe of the pan, because the cake will most likely be just a little taller than your pan. Add the primary layer of cake into the underside of the cake pan. In case you are utilizing a cake collar, place the underside cake on a cardboard cake circle or a serving plate and wrap the cake collar round it and safe in place.
- Add about half of the chocolate mousse and unfold into a good layer.
- Add the second layer of cake on prime of the mousse, then add the remaining mousse and unfold into a good layer.
- Prime the cake with the ultimate cake layer. Refrigerate the cake till the mousse is agency, 4-5 hours.
End it off
- Make the whipped cream by including all of the substances to a big mixer bowl and whipping on excessive pace till stiff peaks kind.
- Take away the cake from the fridge and both take away it from the pan by eradicating the springform pan sides, lifting the cake out of the pan with the plastic wrap, or eradicating the cake collar.
- Frost the skin of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream and pipe swirls across the outer prime fringe of the cake.
- End off the cake with some chocolate sprinkles, then refrigerate till able to serve. Cake is finest when well-covered within the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serving Measurement: 1 Slice
- Energy: 683
- Sugar: 55.2 g
- Sodium: 410.3 mg
- Fats: 42.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.1 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 163.6 mg
Key phrases: chocolate mousse cake, chocolate mousse layer cake, chocolate mousse cake filling