This simple recipe for contemporary peach cake is an excellent option to showcase candy peaches after they’re in season. Gentle and tender with a creamy crumb, and that includes 2 layers of juicy peaches for further peach taste in each chew, this cake wants no topping or adorning (although a dusting of powdered sugar is at all times welcome). It’s the right deal with to get pleasure from on a porch swing with a glass of iced tea—or wherever you discover summertime bliss.
This straightforward but spectacular contemporary peach cake is the right fast & simple dessert to make when peaches are in season, whether or not you picked them straight from a tree… or from a roadside farm stand… or from the grocery retailer after they have been on sale. I really like peach pie, however typically you want a easy recipe for a dessert that may be able to eat within the subsequent couple of hours. This peach cake is simply the factor!
(Peach crisp and peach cobbler are each great choices as properly, in fact. Particularly if you happen to occur to have vanilla ice cream in your freezer.)
Every part You’ll Love About This Contemporary Peach Cake
- Tremendous moist, tender, gentle cake with juicy cinnamon-spiced peaches
- Nice option to showcase contemporary peaches throughout peak peach season
- Fast & simple—no mixer required, no separate topping to make, and also you don’t even should peel the peaches!
- All of the flavors you’re keen on in peach pie (with much less time & effort)
- Not overly candy, so the fruit’s pure sweetness shines
- Greek yogurt makes for a creamy-like crumb, similar to it does in lemon berry yogurt cake
- You can use dairy-free yogurt to make this a dairy-free recipe
- Don’t have to attend hours for it to chill fully earlier than consuming
- Transport and serve proper from the baking pan
And as a welcome bonus, there’s no difficult adorning required. Simply give it a shimmy-shake of confectioners’ sugar excessive earlier than serving—this peach cake is a pure magnificence!
Key Elements You Want & Why
- Flour: All-purpose flour kinds the bottom for this cake’s construction.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: With so many moist components, we want each baking powder and soda to assist carry this cake so it’s not heavy and flat.
- Salt: For its flavor-enhancing superpowers.
- Oil: Utilizing oil as an alternative of butter in desserts makes for a supremely moist crumb. You should utilize olive oil, vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil right here—baker’s selection.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is the sweetener for this cake. You don’t want quite a bit, as a result of the peaches are already candy on their very own.
- Eggs: Eggs present construction, stability, and richness.
- Vanilla & Almond Extracts: You’ll love the flavour this combo gives. It’s the identical duo used to taste basic sugar cookies.
- Greek Yogurt: You’ll discover that I exploit yogurt or bitter cream in plenty of my cake recipes. Each convey a slight tang (very delicate) and brilliantly creamy moisture. I examined this cake with nonfat and low-fat Greek yogurt, common yogurt, and bitter cream—all have been wonderful. Greek yogurt added slightly extra tang and construction, although. You can additionally use a dairy-free yogurt to make this cake dairy free.
- Lemon Zest & Juice: Lemon brightens every part up, and provides some contemporary taste. Style testers mentioned the cake was missing with out it.
- Peaches: You want about 2 cups of sliced contemporary peaches (peeling them first is non-obligatory). See the FAQs beneath for extra info on one of the best kind of peaches to make use of.
- Cinnamon: Completely non-obligatory.
Overview: Easy methods to Make Contemporary Peach Cake
The cake is layered with peaches. Half batter, half peaches, remaining batter, remaining peaches.
There’s no mixer required for this recipe. Whisk the batter collectively, after which toss the peach slices with slightly sugar to assist them launch some juices.
Then I wish to toss HALF of the sugared peaches in cinnamon, so the fruit slices within the heart of the cake mingle with creamy cinnamon swirls (much like this peach fast bread). The opposite half of the peaches (with out cinnamon) create the highest layer of the cake. Once more, the cinnamon is non-obligatory. You may merely toss ALL of the peaches with the cinnamon, or go away it out totally.
Right here’s the creamy batter, and heart layer of cinnamon-sugar peaches:
As you’ll be able to see, the cake is brimming with contemporary peaches. A 9-inch springform pan (what you employ for cheesecake) is good for this one-layer cake.
Right here’s the cake earlier than and after baking:
And whereas this pure magnificence wants no further elaborations, I wish to sift slightly dusting of confectioners’ sugar excessive simply earlier than serving. And, in fact, whipped cream is at all times a welcome adornment.
I’m completely happy to share my testing course of with anybody occupied with how this cake got here to life! Immediately’s peach cake is an almost-halved model of my lemon berry yogurt cake and a really barely scaled-up model of this cherry buckle. I wished to make use of oil as an alternative of butter to maintain the crumb gentle and moist.
It doesn’t appear to be there’s plenty of flour within the recipe, and also you’re proper—there’s not! I examined the cake with extra, but it surely made the cake slightly powerful and heavy. Yogurt is a heavy ingredient, and extra flour didn’t essentially assist.
When it comes to taste, lemon juice and almond extract are key. Style testers felt the whole cake was missing one of the best taste with out these additions.
You should utilize any number of peaches—yellow, white, and even doughnut peaches—however you need barely agency (not onerous) peaches with no gentle spots. Your finest wager is to buy or choose about 4 agency peaches, then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have gentle spots after this time, so that’s the reason I recommend shopping for a pair greater than you really need. Eat any overly gentle peaches or use them in peach muffins.
Contemporary peaches are the best choice for this contemporary peach cake. For those who should use frozen peach slices, thaw after which blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Don’t use canned peaches.
Certain! This can be a nice cake for different fruits and flavors. As an alternative of peaches, strive nectarines, apricots, plums, pears, apples, and even halved cherries.
This simple recipe for contemporary peach cake is an excellent option to showcase candy peaches after they’re in season. Gentle and tender with a creamy crumb, and that includes 2 layers of juicy peaches for further peach taste in each chew, this cake wants no topping or adorning (although a dusting of powdered sugar is at all times welcome). A mixer isn't required for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively till mixed. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, 2/3 cup (133g) sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla and almond extracts, lemon juice, and lemon zest collectively till mixed. Pour the moist components into the dry components and whisk till mixed. Batter is creamy and barely thick. You should have simply over 3 cups of batter.
- In a medium bowl, toss the peach slices with 1 Tablespoon of sugar to coat. Divide in half, shifting half of the peaches to a different bowl. Add cinnamon to at least one half of the peaches and gently stir to coat. The cinnamon is non-obligatory. You can additionally toss ALL of the peaches within the cinnamon; I wish to toss solely half so the middle of the cake has loads of cinnamon swirls.
- Pour and unfold half the batter (simply eyeball it) into the ready pan. Place the cinnamon-sugared peaches in a fair layer on high. Unfold the remaining batter on high of the cinnamon peach layer. Place remaining sugared peaches on high.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the heart of the cake comes out clear. Across the 30-minute mark, loosely tent with aluminum foil to stop over-browning.
- Take away the cake from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Enable to chill for at the least half-hour earlier than slicing, or cool fully. Mud with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, earlier than serving.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer at room temperature for two days or within the fridge for as much as 5 days. For those who topped with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, notice that the sugar will soften and disappear into the cake after just a few hours.
- Freezing Directions: Cowl baked and cooled cake tightly and freeze for as much as 3 months. Carry to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Vegetable/Fruit Peeler | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Citrus Juicer & Zester | 9-inch springform pan | Cooling Rack | Sieve (for dusting confectioners’ sugar)
- Can I Make This in a Totally different Pan? The recipe is designed for a 9-inch springform pan, however you may additionally use a 10-inch cast iron skillet. A 9-inch or 10-inch sq. baking pan work too. I even have a recipe for a peach Bundt cake, and a peach fast bread if you wish to strive these as an alternative.
- Yogurt: I examined this cake with nonfat and low-fat Greek yogurt, common yogurt, and bitter cream—all have been wonderful. Greek yogurt added slightly extra tang and construction, although. You can additionally use a dairy-free yogurt to make this cake dairy free.
- Peaches: Contemporary peaches are the best choice for this contemporary peach cake. For those who should use frozen peach slices, thaw after which blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches could be superb in a pinch, however the texture is significantly better with contemporary. If utilizing canned, make sure to drain and blot dry first.