We reimagined the croissant into a brand new, scrumptious loaf! Good for slicing and sharing, this Croissant Loaf would be the brilliant spot of each meal.
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) water
- 6 tablespoons (72 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) energetic dry yeast
- 4½ cups (572 grams) bread flour
- 3¾ teaspoons (10.5 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) plus 6 tablespoons (84 grams) chilly unsalted European-style butter, reduce into ¾-inch cubes and divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) chilly entire milk
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 4 cups (960 grams) water
- 1 massive egg (50 grams)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir collectively ⅓ cup (80 grams) water and ½ teaspoon (2 grams) sugar; warmth on excessive in 10-second intervals till an instant-read thermometer registers 110°F (43°C) to 115°F (46°C). Whisk in yeast till nicely mixed. Let stand till foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat bread flour, 3½ teaspoons (10.5 grams) salt, and remaining 5 tablespoons plus 2½ teaspoons (70 grams) sugar at low velocity till mixed. Add 6 tablespoons (84 grams) chilly butter; pulse mixer between low velocity and “off” setting till combination resembles coarse bread crumbs, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup (227 grams) chilly butter; pulse mixer between low velocity and “off” setting simply till butter is coated with flour.
- Add chilly milk to yeast combination; whereas pulsing mixer between low velocity and “off” setting, add yeast combination to flour combination in a sluggish, regular stream simply till a shaggy dough comes collectively. (There’ll nonetheless be massive items of butter.)
- Calmly mud work floor with all-purpose flour. Prove dough, and form right into a tough 7-inch sq.. (Dough will likely be smooth and barely sticky.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for half-hour.
- Calmly mud work floor with all-purpose flour. Roll dough into an 18×9-inch rectangle, evenly dusting floor and high of dough with all-purpose flour as wanted. Fold dough in half so brief sides meet. Pat fold to mark heart. Unfold dough, and pull one brief facet to heart. Pull reverse facet to heart so brief sides are touching. Pinch seams collectively; fold alongside heart seam, like closing a e book. Rotate dough 90 levels; repeat rolling and folding process as soon as. (Dough will begin out smooth, tough, and considerably sticky however will come collectively; flip dough over as wanted so edges are rolled out as evenly as potential.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for quarter-hour.
- Repeat rotating, rolling, and folding course of as soon as. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes. (If dough is resisting or feels too smooth, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 10 to fifteen minutes earlier than persevering with.) Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1½ hours.
- Place oven racks in high third and backside third of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, convey 4 cups (960 grams) water to a boil over medium-high warmth. Place pan on high oven rack in again nook. (This will get your oven steamy but in addition permits the area to chill a bit whilst you’re shaping the dough.)
- Spray an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting extra lengthen over sides of pan.
- Utilizing a pizza cutter or pastry wheel, trim dough rectangle right into a 12×10-inch rectangle. Working shortly, reduce into 4 (10×3-inch) rectangles. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes.
- In ready pan, organize dough in a zigzagging ribbon-like sample, leaving a few ½-inch border round edges. (Dough won’t utterly fill pan at this level however will develop as its proofs.) Proof as directed in Conventional Croissants or Genius Croissants recipe. Loosely cowl proofed loaf with greased plastic wrap, and refrigerate whereas oven preheats.
- Place oven rack in heart of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Uncover loaf, egg wash, and place on heart rack of oven.
- Instantly scale back oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Bake for 18 minutes; loosely cowl with foil, and bake till golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in heart registers 210°F (98°C), 32 to 42 minutes extra. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Utilizing extra parchment as handles, take away from pan, and let cool utterly on a wire rack earlier than slicing and serving.
Observe: It doesn’t matter what croissant form you select, there will likely be some dough scraps left over. Don’t toss these tasty trimmings! As a substitute, form, proof, and bake the scraps in enjoyable shapes as desired.
Observe: As soon as formed and positioned on baking sheets, croissants can both be lined and refrigerated in a single day or lined and frozen till strong. Proof and bake the subsequent day as directed, rising proofing or baking time as wanted.