These festive Easter cookies are delicate and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and adorned to appear to be Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you should utilize my straightforward glaze cookie icing. Beautiful on a plate and fast to vanish, these springtime treats are eggs-tra particular. See what I did there? 😉
For right this moment’s Easter cookies, I exploit my traditional sugar cookies recipe. No shock there, as a result of it’s one of the crucial widespread recipes on my web site! It’s cherished by many, and definitely one to maintain in your again pocket together with my recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pie crust.
(Should you choose a delicate and virtually creamier-style sugar cookie, you may take right this moment’s adorning inspiration and apply it to my cut-out cream cheese cookies.)
So A lot to Love About These Easter Cookies
- Texture: Should you hold the rolled-out dough thick sufficient, you’ll be rewarded with additional delicate and thick sugar cookie facilities. The sides are good and crisp, and the royal icing on prime provides a textural distinction as effectively.
- Taste: Candy, vanilla- and almond-hinted, and irresistibly buttery.
- Ease: The dough is surprisingly straightforward to place collectively, however if you’d like the cookies to appear to be the images right here, you’ll want a couple of adorning instruments. See the total checklist of Really helpful Instruments beneath.
- Time: I like to recommend setting apart a day for making and adorning these Easter cookies. It’s sometimes 4 hours from begin to end, relying on the extent of adorning element you need. There’s loads of hands-off time if you wish to make one other certainly one of my spring dessert recipes!
Overview: Learn how to Make Easter Cookies
- Make cookie dough. You want 7–8 substances for the dough. With so few substances, it’s necessary that you simply observe the recipe intently. Creamed butter and sugar present the bottom of the cookie dough. Egg is the cookie’s construction and vanilla extract provides taste. I virtually at all times add a contact of almond extract for extra taste. Flour is an apparent ingredient, baking powder provides somewhat elevate, and salt balances the candy.
- Divide in 2 items. Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. If in case you have problem evenly rolling out dough, do this adjustable rolling pin. It’s actually useful!
- Chill rolled-out cookie dough. With out chilling, these cookie cutter cookies received’t maintain their form. Chill the rolled-out cookie dough for not less than 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- Reduce into shapes. Should you want ideas for cookie cutters, I really like Ann Clark brand. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) For the cookies pictured right here, I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set consists of an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Bake & cool. Relying on measurement, the cookies want about 12 minutes within the oven.
- Beautify. Extra on the icing beneath.
If you wish to skip each the cookie cutters and the icing, attempt these Jelly Bean sugar cookies as a substitute.
The Trick Is the Order of Steps
Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge?
Let me clarify why I do that. Identical to whenever you’re making, say, double chocolate chip cookies, to stop them from over-spreading, the cookie dough should chill within the fridge. For right this moment’s Easter cookies, roll out the dough proper after you make it, then chill the rolled-out dough. (As a result of at this level the dough is simply too delicate to chop into shapes.) Don’t chill the cookie dough after which attempt to roll it out as a result of it is going to be too chilly and onerous. I divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out, and extremely suggest you do the identical. Smaller sections of dough are merely extra manageable.
Right here’s one other trick! Roll out the cookie dough instantly on silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets so you may simply switch it to the fridge. Decide the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. Should you don’t have sufficient room for two baking sheets in your fridge, you may stack the items of rolled-out dough on prime of one another (with parchment or baking mat in between).
The cookies keep delicate for days, so if you wish to save time, these are a wonderful make-ahead Easter dessert choice since you received’t lose any deliciousness. Maintain them in an hermetic container at room temperature till prepared to embellish.
Select Your Icing
I hyperlink to 2 icing choices within the written recipe beneath. You should utilize both icing on right this moment’s Easter cookies, and it simply depends upon the look you’re going for. (And the way a lot effort you wish to put in!)
- Select royal icing if you’d like exact ornamental element in your cookies, significantly the Easter egg cookies in these images. It’s truly my most well-liked sugar cookie icing as a result of it’s straightforward to make use of, dries in a few hours, and doesn’t have a texture similar to hardened cement. It’s truly on the softer facet, with somewhat crisp to it! It requires meringue powder, which is a specialty ingredient however is extra available as of late. Yow will discover it in some grocery retailer baking aisles, most craft shops which have a baking part, or you may shop for meringue powder online.
- Select straightforward cookie icing in case you’re going for a extra easy design, such because the pictured bunnies and carrots. You might *most likely* use this for the element on the Easter egg sugar cookies, however the element received’t be as sharp. I normally go for this icing if I’m adorning with younger bakers, or if I don’t really feel like utilizing my electrical mixer. It has a glaze consistency, and takes longer to dry than the royal icing: about 24 hours.
On right this moment’s pictured cookies, I used royal icing. If you wish to skip each the cookie cutters and the icing, attempt these Jelly Bean sugar cookies as a substitute
Once more, use royal icing for clear particulars on the Easter egg-shaped cookies. Divide the batch of royal icing up into a couple of bowls, and use gel meals coloring to tint the icing completely different colours. I exploit Wilton round icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding, then let that layer dry fully. I normally place the adorned cookies on a baking sheet (or I embellish them instantly on the baking sheet), make some room within the fridge, and stick the pan inside. The icing will set in about half-hour.
Or use glaze-style cookie icing for a easy ornament. This works on merely adorned cookies comparable to these Christmas sugar cookies and would work splendidly on the bunnies and carrots in right this moment’s images. (You might, in fact, use royal icing for the bunnies and carrots as a substitute.)
For the bunnies, I saved the icing white and added sanding sugar sprinkles on prime whereas the icing was moist, then lower a mini marshmallow in half for the tail. For the carrots, I saved the icing white for the stems and added inexperienced sanding sugar. Then I tinted a number of the icing orange for the carrot itself.
For the bunnies, you possibly can even skip the marshmallow tails and use some melted chocolate or brown icing so as to add eyes and a nostril. So cute!
Stack, wrap, reward, and/or retailer: As soon as the icing layers have set, you may stack, wrap, reward, ship, and/or retailer these Easter cookies for per week. Are you able to imagine that a number of the cookies in these footage are 3 weeks outdated? I froze them, allow them to thaw on the counter, and snapped an image earlier than I set them out for serving. There’s somewhat little bit of a texture distinction between frozen and thawed icing and freshly made icing (each icings style a *bit* more durable after freezing), however nobody ever appears to thoughts… or discover.
Really helpful Instruments for Your Easter Cookies
- Handheld or Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin or this Adjustable Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets
- Cookie Cutters: I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set consists of an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit: In my expertise, that is the BEST coloring for royal icing and easy glaze cookie icing. The colours are at all times so wealthy and vivid. You solely want a teeny drip for the pastel colours in right this moment’s cookies. So these colours will final you a really very long time! I used the sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. And I used the orange for the carrots.
- Piping Suggestions/Squeeze Bottle: Should you’re utilizing piping luggage and icing suggestions, I like to recommend Wilton icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding your cookies. For exact element, such because the dots and features on the Easter egg cookies, use icing tip #2 or icing tip #1. Should you’re not piping intricate particulars in your cookies, you should utilize a squeeze bottle as a substitute of piping luggage and icing suggestions. A bottle is much less intimidating than piping suggestions, and really straightforward for younger bakers to make use of. I don’t suggest a squeeze bottle if you’d like sharp icing element, although.
- Disposable or reusable piping bags: You should utilize these for both icing, alongside together with your icing suggestions.
- Coupler(s): Should you solely have 1 piping tip and wish to embellish with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag by utilizing a coupler so you may simply switch the piping tip to different luggage of coloured icing.
- Sanding Sugar Sprinkles: These are bought in most grocery shops within the baking aisle. It’s also possible to organize them on-line. I like Wilton or CK Products manufacturers. I exploit these on the pictured bunnies and carrot cookies.
You’ll additionally get pleasure from my buttercream egg candies or peanut butter eggs. And hop on over to my Easter recipes part or my Easter brunch recipes publish or Easter dessert recipes publish in case you want extra scrumptious concepts. 🙂
These festive Easter cookies are delicate and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and adorned like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and easy carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you should utilize my straightforward glaze cookie icing.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive velocity till fully clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive velocity till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry substances to the moist substances and blend on low velocity till mixed. Dough will likely be a bit delicate. If the dough appears too delicate and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal components. Place every portion onto a bit of calmly floured parchment paper or a calmly floured silicone baking mat. With a calmly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough may be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Evenly mud one of many rolled-out dough parts with flour. Place a bit of parchment paper on prime. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on prime. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for not less than 1–2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 or 3 giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Rigorously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand beneath it to assist take away it. Utilizing a cookie cutter, lower the dough into shapes. I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set.
- Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed reducing till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Be aware: It doesn’t appear to be a variety of dough, however you get a variety of cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Organize cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11–12 minutes or till calmly browned across the edges. In case your oven has scorching spots, rotate the baking sheets midway by bake time. Permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
- Beautify: Put together royal icing or cookie glaze icing. Should you’re utilizing royal icing, it’s greatest to make use of piping luggage and suggestions. Should you’re utilizing the cookie glaze icing, you should utilize a squeeze bottle or piping luggage/suggestions. Take into account that if you’d like sharp design element on the Easter eggs, it’s greatest to make use of royal icing and piping luggage/suggestions.
- For the carrots and bunnies: Maintain a lot of the icing white for the bunnies and carrot tops, and tint some orange for the carrots. Utilizing icing tip #4 or a squeeze bottle, define and flood the bunnies and the carrot tops with white icing. Instantly prime with sanding sugar sprinkles. And, for the bunnies, add a halved marshmallow “tail” whereas the icing continues to be moist. If making the carrot cookies, define and flood the orange icing after making use of the inexperienced sprinkles on the carrot tops. Permit icing to set. No must cowl the adorned cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, embellish the cookies instantly on a baking sheet so you may place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours, and cookie glaze icing units in about 24 hours.
- For the Easter eggs: Divide icing up amongst a couple of bowls. I used 4 colors: sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. I left some icing white. Utilizing icing tip #4, define and flood together with your base shade(s). Permit icing to set (I place the cookies within the fridge so the icing units in about half-hour). Utilizing piping tip #2 or piping tip #1, add ornamental designs in several colours like polka dots, squiggles, plaid, or stripes. Permit icing to set. No must cowl the adorned cookies as you look ahead to the icing to set. If it’s useful, embellish the cookies instantly on a baking sheet so you may place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist velocity up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours.
- Take pleasure in cookies instantly or wait till the icing units to serve them. As soon as the icing has set, these cookies are nice for gifting or for sending. Plain or adorned cookies keep delicate for about 5 days when lined tightly at room temperature. For longer storage, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 10 days.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or adorned sugar cookies freeze effectively as much as 3 months. Await the icing to set fully earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. It’s also possible to freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough by step 3, divide in half, flatten each halves into discs as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the discs within the fridge, then convey to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 4, then chill rolled-out dough within the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour earlier than reducing into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Cookie Cutters (I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set) | Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit | Wilton Icing Tip #4 for outlining and flooding | Wilton Icing Tip #2 or Wilton Icing Tip #1 for Easter egg element | Squeeze Bottle | Disposable or Reusable Piping Bags | Couplers
- Room Temperature: Room-temperature butter is crucial. If the dough is simply too sticky, your butter could have been too delicate. Room-temperature butter is definitely cool to the contact. Room-temperature egg is most well-liked so it’s rapidly and evenly combined into the cookie dough.
- Flavors: I really like flavoring this cookie dough with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract as listed within the substances above. For lighter taste, use 1/4 teaspoon. As an alternative of the almond extract, attempt utilizing 1 teaspoon of maple extract, coconut extract, lemon extract, or peppermint extract. If utilizing lemon extract, it’s also possible to add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest.
- Be sure you try my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.