This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As a substitute of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mix of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a stunning texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, ensure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It is a fantastic various to my common apple crisp recipe.
This gluten-free apple crisp will take a look at alllll your self management. I initially printed this recipe again in 2014, and it’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD. Each bit pretty much as good as my traditional apple crisp recipe! And dare I say even higher as a result of you’ve got the fabulous addition of maple syrup. Yum.
(By the way in which, do you know I’ve a bit on my web site devoted to gluten-free recipes? I even have this gluten-free desserts web page.)
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Apple Crisp:
- Fast & simple: No pre-cooking, chilling, or waiting-for-it-to-cool steps
- Fall-favorite flavors of apple, cinnamon, maple, and brown sugar
- Crumbly, buttery oat and almond crisp topping
- Recipe doubles simply for serving a crowd
- Nobody will imagine it’s gluten free!
I respect how simple it’s to organize fruit crisps. Whereas I like fruit pies with my do-it-yourself buttery flaky pie crust, they are often moderately time consuming. Apple pie is a endlessly favourite dessert, however ready for it to chill may be downright torturous. With this crisp, we are able to dig proper in whereas it’s nonetheless heat!
Simple Apple Filling
- Apples: See beneath for one of the best apples to make use of. You want 5 cups of peeled, chopped apples, which is about 4 medium/giant apples.
- Lemon Juice: A squeeze of lemon helps brighten up the flavour of the apple filling—it tastes a little bit flat with out it.
- Brown Sugar: The molasses content material in brown sugar provides a lot taste because it sweetens. It’s how I sweeten this apple galette, too.
- Maple Syrup: For sweetness with that unequaled maple taste. The apple-maple combo tastes like quintessential fall! Have you ever ever tried my wholesome apple muffins?
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances and enhances all the opposite flavors.
- Cornstarch: This helps the filling thicken because it bakes.
- Spices: Identical to in apple pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice add heat and depth of taste to this gluten-free apple crisp.
What Are the Finest Apples to Use for Baking?
Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from delicate, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s greatest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples. For this crisp, I often use 2 tart and a pair of candy.
- Tart apples I like to bake with: Granny Smith (in my view, that is one of the best total apple for baking), Braeburn, Jonathan, and Pacific Rose
- Candy apples I like to bake with: Jazz, Pazazz, Honeycrisp, Pink Girl, and Fuji
Peel & Slice Apples Into Chunks
You may skip peeling the apples in the event you’d like, however many favor peeled apples in desserts. I take advantage of and love (affiliate hyperlink) this OXO peeler. Numerous crisp recipes use apple slices, however I favor chunks as a result of chunks simply match onto a spoon or fork. It’s additionally tough to get completely uniform slices, so some items may be a lot thinner than others—and which means mushy apples. 1-inch chunks which might be between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick are perfect for this gluten-free crisp.
Toss the apple chunks with the remainder of the filling elements after which spoon/pour the apple filling right into a 9-inch pie dish or sq. baking pan.
Right here’s What You Want for the Topping
6 elements come collectively to make a scrumptious gluten-free topping:
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides a lot taste and softness, and pairs very well with the maple taste within the filling.
- Oats: Entire rolled/old style oats are greatest on this topping. Be certain to search for “licensed gluten free” on the label.
- Almond Meal: This replaces the standard all-purpose flour. Almond meal is just floor almonds (earlier than reaching the stage of almond butter). When you use blanched almonds and grind them up a little bit extra effective, you’ll get almond flour. Almond meal has a little bit extra texture. You should utilize almond flour or almond meal; I’ve accomplished it each methods and both works.
- Cinnamon: A touch of cinnamon within the topping provides much more taste.
- Salt: Sweetness balancer/taste enhancer.
- Butter: Stirring in melted butter is what makes the crisp topping come collectively, all crumbly and scrumptious!
You should purchase almond meal from the shop, however it’s very easy to make at residence. Pulse sliced or slivered almonds in a meals processor till the almonds are pulverized. To keep away from the almonds grinding into an oily almond butter because of the processor’s warmth, pulse them with 2 Tablespoons oats. I observe that within the recipe beneath.
Sprinkle the topping everywhere in the high of the apple filling, and your gluten-free apple crisp is able to bake! No chilling, pre-cooking, cooling, or some other steps that will additional delay the second of bliss while you dig in your spoon for that first chunk.
And naturally, don’t overlook the vanilla ice cream! No apple dessert is full with out a scoop of vanilla ice cream on high. And for a juicy pop of shade, sprinkle some contemporary pomegranate arils on high earlier than serving. (Completely optionally available, however look how fairly!) Speak about texture heaven.
Can I Make Different Gluten-Free Fruit Crisps?
Sure, you possibly can change the apples with cherries or pears, and even change 1 cup of the apples with contemporary cranberries. You can even use blueberries or peaches, however scale back the maple syrup within the filling down to three Tablespoons, as a result of each of these fruits get so juicy. Be at liberty to regulate the spices, primarily based on the fruit you’re utilizing.
This gluten-free apple crisp combines soft-baked apples flavored with maple and heat spices and a crumbly oat topping. As a substitute of utilizing all-purpose flour, use a mix of almond meal and oats. Almond meal provides a stunning texture and scrumptious nutty taste. To maintain the recipe gluten free, ensure you’re utilizing licensed GF oats. It’s not simply “actually good for a gluten-free recipe.” It’s simply plain REALLY GOOD.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish, cake pan, or sq. baking pan. Put aside.
- Filling: Stir all the filling elements collectively in a big bowl. Be certain the apples are evenly coated. Unfold evenly into ready pan.
- Topping: Whisk the brown sugar, oats, and almond meal collectively. Break up any giant clumps of brown sugar. Whisk within the cinnamon and salt. As soon as mixed, stir within the melted butter. Sprinkle topping over the apples and end with a number of slivered or sliced almonds (optionally available).
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or till the submitting is bubbly, the apples are a little bit delicate, and the topping is browned. If it seems to be just like the topping is browning too rapidly, cowl the highest loosely with aluminum foil about midway by baking time. Permit to chill for five–10 minutes earlier than serving.
- High with pomegranate arils, if utilizing, and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Observe steps 2 and three within the recipe, then cowl the crisp and freeze for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Pie Dish, 9-inch Round Cake Pan, or 9-inch Square Baking Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Vegetable Peeler
- Apples: You need about 5 cups (about 600g) chopped apple chunks. For greatest taste, use a mixture of tart and candy varieties, comparable to 2 tart Granny Smiths and a pair of apples of a sweeter selection like Honeycrisp, Pink Girl, or Fuji.
- Maple Syrup: Delivers a lot taste. And makes the apple filling further juicy and gooey. Don’t go away it out!
- Almond Meal: You should utilize store-bought almond meal or almond flour, or you can also make your personal. Begin with 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds. Pulse them, together with 2 Tablespoons of the 1 cup oats referred to as for on this recipe, in a meals processor till a crumbly meal has fashioned. Don't run the meals processor constantly; it's possible you'll find yourself with almond butter. Fast pulses are greatest. You'll find yourself with about 1/2 cup almond meal.
Key phrases: gluten free apple crisp