A candy and easy recipe for no-chill sugar cookies, these are buttery and smooth with crisp outlined edges and don’t require any chilling within the fridge.
Final-Minute Minimize-Out Cookies
Sneaking in simply earlier than Christmas with a last-minute cookie recipe for all of my fellow procrastinators on the market! I truly hesitated fairly a bit to share this no-chill sugar cookie recipe, and nearly didn’t. Solely as a result of I have already got a fairly unimaginable, well-loved, highly-rated and straightforward sugar cookie recipe on the weblog.
The one downside? My authentic recipe requires a number of hours of chilling. When you’ve got the time, I’ll at all times favor the unique. However, generally, effectively, we’d like sugar cookies with out chilling. We want them quick and don’t have time to attend for refrigeration, regardless of how obnoxiously necessary we know that step could also be.
Which is why I’m more than happy to be sharing right this moment’s completely no-refrigerator required, no-chill sugar cookie recipe. For these of you who’re procrastinators (very similar to myself) and end up in determined want of cookies for Santa and barely any time remaining earlier than the sleigh pulls as much as the rooftop.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- NO CHILLING!
- Easy to arrange with primary elements.
- Yields lovely, even cookies with sharp, outlined edges.
- A forgiving dough; I embody tricks to keep away from widespread sugar cookie pitfalls, but additionally find out how to resolve them in case you passed over the ideas and bumped into them anyway.
- Yields buttery, completely sweetened cookies which you could customise the flavour of together with your favourite extracts.
- Fast and straightforward, this recipe will be executed in beneath an hour!
What You Want
The elements wanted listed here are basically the identical as those utilized in my basic sugar cookies, with one notable exception. Let’s go over these earlier than we get began:
- Butter. Arguably an important ingredient, your butter has the ability to make or break your no-chill sugar cookies. Your butter ought to be softened, however not solely to room temperature. It ought to nonetheless have a little bit of a chill to it, if it’s too heat or smooth it might make the dough sticky and tough to make use of. Verify that your butter isn’t melting (the skin of it shouldn’t be oily). If you wish to be actually technical, use an instant read thermometer (⬅️ affiliate hyperlink for the one I take advantage of) to examine the temperature of your butter. At its middle, it ought to learn near 65F (18C).
- Extracts. Vanilla extract provides the cookies their basic vanilla taste. A little bit of almond extract provides one thing further particular, however will be skipped in case you don’t love the flavour (or be happy to substitute with lemon extract).
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour. Whereas I like to recommend at all times measuring your flour correctly, with this recipe you even have a little bit of wiggle room, and in case you run into a difficulty with sticky dough you’ll be able to at all times add a spoonful extra as wanted.
- Cornstarch. My secret weapon, I choose to make use of a mix of flour and cornstarch somewhat than simply flour. An excessive amount of flour could make the cookies cakey and bland. Cornstarch works very similar to flour on this recipe, however you should use a lot much less of it, preserving the cookies tender and flavorful.
- Baking powder. A pinch of baking powder retains the cookies from being too dense. It provides a slight little bit of raise that retains their texture good.
SAM’S TIP; TOPPINGS: My straightforward sugar cookie icing and straightforward royal icing each work splendidly for icing these cookies (I used my royal icing within the photographs right here). Nonetheless you may as well skip the icing utterly and simply sprinkle the cut-out cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking them.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
The best way to Make No-Chill Sugar Cookies
- Cream the butter & sugar. Beat them collectively till mild and fluffy, a few minute or so with an electrical mixer.
- Stir in egg and extracts. Scrape the bowl periodically to make sure all elements are well-combined.
- Put together the dough. Whisk collectively the dry elements individually, then, together with your mixer on low-speed, regularly add the flour till utterly mixed. You don’t need to over-work this dough (which may heat the butter and make the dough sticky) however take your time including the flour and ensure it’s utterly mixed.
- Roll it out. No chilling wanted, take your dough straight to a clear frivolously floured floor and roll it out as thick or skinny as you’d like. Be sure that to periodically scrape beneath the dough with a spatula whilst you’re rolling it to make certain it’s not sticking to your counter!
- Minimize & bake! Use cookie cutters to chop out shapes and place these great no-chill sugar cookies on a baking sheet. The cookies gained’t unfold, however give an inch or so of house between cookies to provide them some respiratory room. Bake till the cookies are simply starting to show a very mild golden brown on the perimeters.
SAM’S TIP: Add your flour regularly. This dough is designed to be a bit extra dry and agency than different cookie doughs (it’s how we’re in a position to skip the chilling), so it takes a while for the moist elements to soak up all of that flour. I like to recommend including the flour combination in 4 or 5 elements and making certain it’s all been included earlier than including the following bit. In case your dough appears dry and crumbly, you might need simply overwhelmed it with flour. Simply hold mixing and it’ll come collectively.
Steadily Requested Questions
Should you do not need cornstarch you’ll be able to go away it out and as an alternative use 3-4 further Tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Dough that’s too crumbly is commonly brought on by by chance utilizing an excessive amount of flour. Please see my put up on find out how to measure flour correctly.
That being mentioned, this can be a pretty forgiving dough and might deal with extra flour than is named for. In case your dough is just too dry and crumbly and cracking the flour could have been added too shortly, sooner than the moist elements may correctly take in it. To stop this, add the dry elements slowly, in 5 elements, and stir till the entire flour has been absorbed earlier than including extra. Should you’re within the thick of it and have already added your entire flour, simply hold mixing. It’s going to all come collectively properly, nevertheless it may be extra of an arm exercise this fashion.
Sticky dough is almost certainly the results of butter that was too heat or over-handling your dough. I designed this dough to be simply dry sufficient that it didn’t want to sit back, however I used to be intentional about making it nonetheless smooth sufficient that you just’d have a pleasant, buttery, and flavorful cookie (one which didn’t style like flour!). In case your butter was melty/oily whenever you used it (you didn’t microwave it to melt it, did you!?) or in case you combined the dough for much longer than known as for or dealt with it together with your arms an incredible deal, this may trigger it to be sticky.
This may be mounted; slowly stir extra flour into the dough till it’s manageable or, if the dough is already in your clear floor for rolling, sprinkle dough on the counter and over the dough and blend it in by hand till manageable.
You additionally may chill this dough for 15-20 minutes to treatment dough that’s gotten too heat. This works nice, however then after all these gained’t precisely be no-chill sugar cookies 😉
I’d not suggest it because the dough is just too stiff and purposefully designed to be rolled out. As an alternative, I’d suggest attempting my drop sugar cookies.
I’ve a number of extra recipes in retailer for you this yr however this might be my final dessert recipe of 2022. Merry Christmas, and I hope this recipe is useful (in case you get pleasure from it let me know and I’ll attempt to movie a video for it for the following vacation season)!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! Should you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Facebook
No-Chill Sugar Cookies
The proper last-minute cookie, this no-chill sugar cookie recipe requires, effectively, no chilling! It is easy to make and yields perfectly-sweet, buttery sugar cookies with crisp outlined edges.
Servings: 30 2.5″ cookies, see word
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat collectively butter and sugar till creamy and well-combined (about 1 minute on medium pace).
1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat on medium-speed till utterly mixed. Remember to scrape the perimeters and backside of the bowl so elements are totally mixed.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 giant egg, ¼ teaspoon almond extract
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low-speed, very regularly add flour combination to butter combination till utterly mixed. This can be a pretty dry dough, the easiest way to maintain it from being dry and crumbly is so as to add the flour slowly (in 4-5 elements) and ensure it is all been included earlier than including the following little bit of flour.
Type the dough right into a disk and switch it to a clear, frivolously floured floor and sprinkle the floor of the dough frivolously with further flour.
Further flour for rolling cookies
Use a frivolously floured rolling pin to roll dough to be about ¼” (6.5mm) thick. As you roll, often use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough to loosen it from the counter to make sure it is not sticking to the floor. In case your dough is sticky in any respect, merely sprinkle it with further flour.
Use cookie cutters to chop shapes out of the dough (hold your cookie cuts shut and re-group and re-roll out any dough scraps!) and switch to ready baking sheet, spacing cookies at the very least 1″ aside.
Switch to middle rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (that is the urged time for two.5-3″/7.5cm cookies; smaller cookies will want much less time and bigger cookies might have longer). When cookies are completed baking, edges might be starting to show very mild golden brown.
Permit cookies to chill on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes earlier than utilizing a cookie spatula to fastidiously switch to cooling rack to chill utterly.
Butter shouldn’t be so smooth that it’s oily/melty and it’s truly ultimate if it nonetheless has a little bit of a chill to it. If you wish to be very exact, use an instantaneous learn thermometer to examine for a temperature of 65F (18C).
I take advantage of unsalted butter, however in case you use salted butter then scale back the salt within the recipe to only a pinch (about ⅛ teaspoon).
This can be a powdery white substance (comparable in look to baking powder) that’s typically labeled as “corn flour” within the UK. Should you do not need cornstarch, chances are you’ll omit it and improve the quantity of flour within the recipe by 3-4 Tablespoons.
What number of cookies you get out of this dough will fluctuate relying on the scale of your cookie cutters and exactly how thick you roll the dough. I used 2.5″ cookie cutters and rolled the dough to ¼″ thickness for the testing this recipe and re-rolled out my cookie scraps.
I like to recommend adorning the cookies with both my straightforward sugar cookie icing or my straightforward royal icing (for the cookies within the picture you possibly can use both to attain the outcomes proven, however I used royal icing after which sprinkled on some sanding sugar whereas the icing was nonetheless moist for a number of the cookies). You might also merely sprinkle the cookies with coloured sanding sugar earlier than baking.
Retailer baked cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as two weeks. Cookies can also be tightly wrapped and frozen for a number of months.
Serving: 1unfrosted cookie | Energy: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.