Let me put this 12 months’s Pumpkin Pie on the prime of your inbox. This Cajun variation of Thanksgiving’s most tried-and-true dessert is a present stopper! Made with a buttery, sugar cookie crust, and a silky mild pumpkin cream filling – this Tarte a la Bouillie is the right finish the probably the most epic meal of the 12 months!
It solely took me over six years of Louisiana dwelling to make a correct Cajun candy dough and pudding pie however buddies, right here we’re!
That is the form of deep nuanced southern secret that takes time to disclose itself. You don’t simply transplant to Louisiana and study the secrets and techniques to gumbo and crawfish pie and candy dough. It’s a must to earn it with time and invitation.
Years in the past, after I began educating Bakehouse pie baking lessons, my assistant Sydney’s grandmother was interested in my pie crust recipe as a result of, in response to her, it was incorrect. Her pie crust had extra sugar, an egg, and baking powder so my much less candy, all-butter pie crust appeared like extra of a curiosity. She’s appropriate, in fact. Her pie crust sounded extra like a cookie to me and there’s zero issues fallacious with that. Technically, we’re each proper.
Quick ahead to early summer season, I ran throughout a recipe for a deep dish Tarte a la Bouillie from Taste of the South. The title interprets to burnt milk or porridge tart and the crust regarded sugar-cookie-thick with a crust that folded over like the right hair day. This was the pie crust that had been gently tapping me on the shoulder for years! I attempted the precise Style of the South recipe with struggling outcomes, however a straightforward 5 pies later, landed on a crust and filling good for this season. It’s basically a Cajun Pumpkin Pudding Pie – silky clean and light-weight in texture with a candy cookie crust that’s completely serene.
Please say you’ll be part of me on this! It is a good one buddies! xo
Right here’s what you’ll want for this show-stopper of a Tarte a la Bouille:
• Components for the Cajun candy dough that embody flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. We’ll additionally want an egg and entire milk for binding. A splash of almond extract to make this candy cookie crust style correctly southern.
• Components for the pumpkin pudding embody brown sugar, flour and salt. You’ll additionally need pumpkin puree, eggs, cozy spices, entire milk, and heavy or bitter cream.
• Additionally necessary to this recipe is that this removable bottom tart pan!
We’ll begin by making the crust – the Cajun Candy Dough.
This crust is a mixture of pie crust and cookie so we’ll add an egg into the entire milk, baking powder into the dry components for raise, and a splash of almond extract to make the tender dough extra cookie like.
Within the bowl of a meals processor mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Give it a little bit whirl to mix the entire dry components. Add the pats of chilly butter and pulse the combination till the butter is concerning the dimension of peas. This might take 12 to twenty pulses.
Now, you may completely do that step by hand in case you don’t have or don’t wish to fuss with the meals processor. Simply remember that we’ll break this butter down into the smaller bits that we do for our all-butter pie crust.
As soon as it’s pulsed, switch the butter and flour combination to a medium bowl and add the whisked milk, egg, and almond extract.
Use a fork or a picket spoon to toss the moist and dry components collectively within the bowl. As soon as nicely mixed, use your hand to knead the dough right into a disk. When making my all-butter pie crust, I switch the dough to a clear counter and gently (and shortly) knead it collectively, preserving the chilly butter in huge chunks for a flaky pie crust. With this candy dough, we aren’t nervous an excessive amount of about overworking the butter. Take a giant deep breath and knead the dough right into a cohesive disk.
Now right here’s one other trick – we’re rolling the pie crust straight away!
From my expertise, this pie crust cracks and is actually troublesome to switch if it chills earlier than its rolled. And gosh – I inform ya – I made this crust 5 instances in every week simply to make sure. You’ll need two items of parchment paper or two Silpats for rolling. Flour the underside parchment paper, place the room temperature dough on the paper, mud it with flour and prime with one other piece of parchment. Begin rolling!
I peel again the highest parchment paper after a couple of strokes to re-flour and iron out any paper creases with my hand. Roll the crust to a 12-14 inch spherical that’s simply over 1/4-inch thick.
After our crust is rolled we’ll slide it (2 parchment papers and all) to a baking sheet and into the fridge to relax.
Whereas the crust chills, we’ll prepare dinner our pudding on the stovetop for this tarte à la bouillie.
In a saucepan whisk collectively brown sugar, flour, and salt. Don’t skip this step. It’s necessary to mix all the pieces now so the flour doesn’t clump once we add the eggs.
Whisk within the eggs. Whisk within the pumpkin puree, spices, milk and cream.
Have you ever ever made pudding earlier than? It’s like making gumbo – there’s numerous standing and stirring. Consider it as a meditation.
As you whisk the components over medium-low warmth you’re ready for a couple of issues that will help you thicken the combination. The eggs will prepare dinner and thicken whereas the flour cooks and thickens. Whisk fairly consistently utilizing a flat or small whisk that may work into the perimeters of the pot to choose up any bits that may be over cooking.
See the whisk strains that momentarily held within the pudding? Thats what we’re going for.
Don’t fret an excessive amount of – do not forget that we’re additionally placing this pudding in a pie crust and baking it. If you happen to undercook the pudding barely that’s okay as a result of it has extra time to bake.
As soon as the pudding is cooked on the stovetop, whisk within the butter and vanilla extract.
Switch to a bowl. Cowl with plastic wrap that covers the floor of the pudding. Let it chill at room temperature when you get after the pie crust.
I really like this tart in a removable bottom tart pan, but it surely additionally works simply nice in a 9-inch (not deep dish) pie pan. The ornamental edge gained’t translate to an everyday pie dish, however the crust will be folded over and crimped sweetly.
Take away the crust from the fridge and let it relaxation at room temperature for 10 minutes. When the crust simply turns into bendable, take away the highest sheet of parchment paper and gently invert it into the tart pan. Press in gently but when it tears it’s completely okay! The crust will press collectively simply.
Gently press the crust into the perimeters of the pan. Any extra can drape over the perimeters. Run a rolling pin excessive of the pan to chop the scraps from the tart. Intelligent trick, proper?
Pour the pudding into the tart shell.
Re-roll the scraps of dough to create an ornamental edge. I minimize 1 1/2-inch crust circles and press them into the scalloped edge creating little half moons throughout.
This works nicely in a tart pan however may be a little bit extra difficult in a pie dish. Crimped edges on a pie dish are cute!
Bake till the perimeters are simply calmly golden brown and the pudding is about.
It might have a little bit jiggle to it when it’s baked by means of however no wave-like strikes. Waves imply the tart wants extra time to bake.
Enable the tart to chill to room temperature and even chill it in a single day! Earlier than serving, I like a little bit dusting of powdered sugar across the edges and a dollop of whipped cream on every slice.
The feel is silky clean and lighter than pumpkin pie. It’s a such a candy little deal with and I’m completely including it to my Thanksgiving desk (regardless of how many individuals are round it this 12 months).
I actually assume you’ll love this pie, buddies! Completely happy Baking! xo
A creamy pumpkin pudding pie with Cajun candy dough crust.
For the Crust:
For the Filling:
- First let’s make the crust. Within the bowl of a meals processor fitted with the steel blade, add flour, sugar baking powder and salt. Pulse to mix. Add the cubed butter and pulse 12-20 instances to create a rough meal. Some butter items would be the dimension of oat flakes, others the dimensions of peas. Switch the flour combination to a medium bowl and permit to relax within the fridge.
- In a small measuring cup whisk collectively egg and yolk, milk and almond extract.
- Take away the bowl from the fridge and add the moist components to the dry. Toss collectively to mix. It’s possible you’ll wish to dump the dough onto a clear counter to knead collectively into a comparatively clean disk. Don’t fear in case you work the butter in a bit. That’s okay.
- Place the dough between two items of floured parchment paper (or parchment paper and a Silpat, or two items of plastic wrap). Roll the dough out evenly, turning the dough over continuously and lifting and smoothing the paper or plastic so it doesn’t create any creases. You’ll be able to mud a bit extra flour too in case you’d like. The circle must be 12-14 inches in diameter and about 1/4-inch thick. Slide the dough (nonetheless between the paper or plastic) onto a baking sheet or slicing board and refrigerate for about 1 hour. The dough cal even be refrigerated in a single day or well-wrapped and frozen.
- Make the filling whereas the dough chills. In a medium saucepan (not over warmth simply on the countertop) whisk collectively brown sugar, flour, and salt. Don’t skip this step, you don’t need your flour to clump whereas making a custard. Whisk within the eggs till nicely mixed. Whisk within the pumpkin. Whisk in the entire spices. The combination will likely be thick and scent scrumptious.
- Stream within the milk and cream (or bitter cream) and whisk to clean. Place over medium-low warmth and, whisking continuously (utilizing each a whisk and rubber spatula to scrape the perimeters) prepare dinner the combination till thickened, about 10 minutes. Pay shut consideration as to not prepare dinner the eggs. You’ll know the combination is thickened correctly as a result of it is going to be the consistency of a free, heat pudding or a thick cream of tomato soup. Take away from warmth and stir within the butter chunks 2 at a time till melted and included. Whisk within the vanilla extract.
- Switch to a medium bowl and canopy with plastic wrap (so the plastic touches the pudding). Put aside.
- When the dough is completely chilled, place the dough on the counter and let it relaxation for about 10 minutes or till it’s pliable sufficient to bend with out breaking. Take away one piece of paper or plastic from the dough. Invert it onto the tart pan and take away the second piece of paper or plastic. Gently press the dough into the perimeters of the pan. It’s okay if the dough tears a bit, simply press and tears again collectively. Enable the surplus dough to relaxation over the perimeters. Run a rolling pin throughout the highest of the pan to chop the surplus dough off of the tart.
- To create a scalloped edge, use a 1 1/2-inch spherical cookie cutter (actually you should use any small form you may have) and minimize circles from the surplus dough. I wanted about 22 circles to rim my tart.
- Pour the filling into the tart crust.
- Place every circle in order that it creates a half circle going into the pie filling and press into the tart pan along with your fingers to chop the opposite half circle from the tart. Proceed across the pan.
- Fastidiously place pan on a parchment lined baking sheet (the sort that gained’t warp within the oven) and refrigerate when you preheat the oven.
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat to 350 levels F. Fastidiously place the sheet pan with pie within the oven and permit to bake for 35-40 minutes till the pie is about.
- Enable pie to chill to room temperature earlier than serving. I like this pie finest cooled to room temperature then chilled in a single day. Retailer any leftovers within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
• I want a 10-inch detachable backside tart pan for this recipe although a typical 9-inch pie dish additionally works nicely!