My Salisbury Steak Recipe is 100% from-scratch with no pre-made gravies or ketchup. It takes simply 35 minutes to make and freezes superbly! Recipe features a how-to video!
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Coming at you as we speak with some traditional consolation meals! My salisbury steak recipe is an extremely flavorful dish made fully from scratch with none ketchup or soup/gravy mixes. The steaks are shaped out of floor meat, breadcrumbs, and plenty of flavorings and seared earlier than ending in a strong gravy (made with or with out mushrooms!). This recipe is simple, satisfying, quick, and it feeds the entire household…my favourite sort of weeknight dinner!
Identical to with my sloppy Joe recipe, as an alternative of utilizing ketchup for flavoring, we basically make our personal utilizing tomato paste, sugar, and vinegar. This provides us most management over the dish and eliminates any preservatives or undesirable elements.
Why attempt my salisbury steak recipe:
- Pairs properly with just about any aspect–I’ve included my favorites beneath!
- Makes an excellent freezer meal (like my beef ragu).
- 100% from-scratch and tremendous flavorful.
- Prepared in simply 35 minutes!
What You Want
Let’s speak about a couple of of these elements up there earlier than we get began with the recipe:
- Floor beef. Sure, floor beef! Salisbury steaks aren’t produced from entire muscle steaks however as an alternative use floor beef. Don’t fear although, we might be seasoning our beef with a number of spices and sauces to verify it’s further flavorful. Use whichever proportion you like; I usually use 93% lean.
- Mushrooms. I personally don’t love mushrooms, however my husband insists that they belong in any good salisbury steak recipe, so I included them right here. Should you aren’t a fan both, you’ll be able to completely depart them out with no different modifications wanted.
- Panko. Use plain (unseasoned) panko breadcrumbs. Gluten-free or common will work equally properly. Typically I substitute panko for selfmade sourdough breadcrumbs.
- Egg. An egg is necessary for binding the steaks collectively, it serves like a glue that retains them from falling aside whilst you’re cooking.
- Worcestershire sauce. Should you don’t need to or can’t use Worcestershire sauce, you’ll be able to substitute coconut aminos.
- Stone floor mustard. When you have dijon, it will work too. Don’t use common yellow mustard, which has a completely totally different taste profile.
SAM’S TIP: As with my meatball recipe, we should be cautious to not over-mix the meat combination right here. Over-mixing will lead to powerful salisbury steaks, so simply gently work every part collectively till mixed, then cease.
That is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
How you can Make Salisbury Steak
Make the steaks
- Combine the meat with all elements below the “steaks” part till simply mixed.
- Kind into 4 steaks which might be about ½″ thick.
- Sear the steaks in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium excessive warmth till properly browned on both sides.
- Take away to a plate and let relaxation whilst you put together your gravy.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t overcrowd the meat when searing, or you can find yourself steaming it as an alternative of searing it. If this occurs, the meat will look gray as an alternative of brown and gained’t be as flavorful.
Make the gravy
- Soften the butter in your sizzling pan and scrape up any brown bits on the underside of the pan because it cooks.
- Toss within the onions and cook dinner till softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook dinner till golden brown.
- Sprinkle flour over the combination and stir/cook dinner till it’s absorbed, then cook dinner for one more 30 seconds or so till toasted.
- Stir within the tomato paste and seasonings and cook dinner till the tomato paste begins to brown.
- Slowly drizzle within the broth whereas stirring and scraping the pan.
- Add the steaks to the gravy and cook dinner till finished. The gravy will thicken throughout this time.
- Serve salisbury steaks with a number of gravy and sides of your selecting (my options are beneath).
Regularly Requested Questions
Sure! Should you choose your salisbury steak with out mushrooms, merely depart them out and comply with the recipe as written. The dish will nonetheless be simply as flavorful this manner.
This salisbury steak recipe freezes very properly. Simply be certain that to retailer in an hermetic, freezer-safe container and your steaks might be good for as much as 3 months.
Personally, if I’m planning to freeze this recipe, I usually prefer to make salisbury steak meatballs as an alternative of steaks (it’s simply simpler for portioning and reheating!). Should you’d love to do the identical, simply roll your meat combination into 1 ½ Tbsp-sized and sear them following directions in recipe.
What are a few of your favourite consolation meals dishes? Let me know within the feedback! 👇
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! Should you do this recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 4 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
For the Steaks
In a big mixing bowl, mix all elements from the “Steaks” part and use your fingers to combine all of the elements collectively till well-combined – don’t over-mix or flip the meat into paste.
1 lb floor beef, ⅓ cup plain panko breadcrumbs, 1 massive egg, 2 Tablespoons tomato paste, 2 Tablespoons coarse stone floor mustard, 2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon gentle brown sugar, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon floor black pepper
Kind the combination into 4 steaks/rectangular patties about ½” thick (I typically make a small indent within the middle to assist the facilities cook dinner evenly). Put aside.
Add oil to a big skillet over medium-high warmth.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
As soon as oil is shimmering, sear the steaks within the pan, cooking till well- browned on both sides. Take away to a plate and relaxation whilst you put together the gravy. Cut back pan warmth to medium (don’t clear it out, instantly begin making your gravy).
Add butter to the skillet and scrape the pan because it melts.
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
As soon as melted, add onion and cook dinner till softened.
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
Add mushrooms and cook dinner till golden.
1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
Sprinkle pan with flour and cook dinner, stirring, till flour is totally absorbed, then cook dinner one other 30 seconds (to calmly toast the flour).
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and stir properly, cooking at the least 1 minute till tomato paste loses its brilliant purple coloration.
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon floor black pepper, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Whereas stirring, slowly drizzle in beef broth till elements are mixed (be certain that to scrape the underside of the pan!).
2 cups beef broth
Return salisbury steaks to the pan and nestle into the gravy. Enable to cook dinner till steaks are cooked by way of (now not pink within the center/160F) and gravy is thickened.
2 cups of beef broth makes quite a lot of gravy, which we like, particularly if serving over mashed potatoes! If you’d like much less gravy, scale back by ½ cup.
This meal freezes properly. Retailer in an hermetic container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 26g | Fats: 34g | Saturated Fats: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 15g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1852mg | Potassium: 875mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 5mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.