My home made Oreo cookie recipe makes crisp, black cocoa-infused cookies sandwiched round a creamy vanilla filling. These cookies are SO nostalgic and as near the unique as you will get! Recipe features a how-to video!
Oreo Cookies From Scratch
This Oreo cookie recipe is my home made tackle the traditional, tremendous nostalgic deal with. I needed skinny, crisp, black cookie shells with a creamy white filling; one thing that fully evoked the reminiscence of Oreo cookies. My recipe is spot on (if I do say so myself🤓)–these cookies style like my childhood!
I really feel prefer it’s vital to say that my recipe makes home made Oreos which are CRISP! So many recipes mimic the flavour, however don’t fairly obtain the feel of the actual factor. To me, Oreo cookies mustn’t have mushy “shells” like whoopie pies; they must be completely crisp. Mine are simply that, they usually break simply beneath your enamel, similar to the actual factor! The filling can be fastidiously crafted to be completely candy, creamy and simply the correct consistency. I find it irresistible.
What You’ll Love About these Selfmade Oreos
- Tastes like the actual factor — however higher! You’ll acknowledge the style and texture of the store-bought traditional, however these are subsequent degree in taste because of our components.
- Has the correct texture I really feel like Oreos must be textured, even the home made type. I needed to get artistic with my technique as a result of I don’t have a textured rolling pin (I’ve had my eye on this embossed one however haven’t pulled the set off on it but), however you possibly can undoubtedly use one (or depart yours easy!)
- CRISP and snappy. They break completely beneath your enamel, similar to an actual Oreo must!
- Genuine black & white coloration. You received’t get the deep black coloration for the cookie shells by utilizing conventional cocoa, so I’ve included notes on the place to purchase black cocoa, as a substitute (it’s cheap and out there on Amazon).
What You Want
For the Cookies
Selfmade Oreos are surprisingly easy to make. Whereas there aren’t too many components in my Oreo cookie recipe, I’d prefer to go over a couple of earlier than we get began.
- Black cocoa. I talked briefly about black cocoa in my pure vs. dutch course of cocoa publish, however you possibly can learn extra about it here. The sort of cocoa powder is essential for correct Oreo taste and coloration. I embrace notes on substituting different forms of cocoa within the recipe notes beneath, however simply know that it actually received’t be the identical cookie or have that traditional style with out black cocoa. I buy my black cocoa here on Amazon (affiliate).
- Butter. I like to make use of unsalted butter, however when you solely have salted butter available, you possibly can scale back the salt within the cookies to only ¼ teaspoon. Make sure that your butter is softened earlier than starting.
- Baking soda. This helps make the cookies a bit extra brittle, which helps them snap completely below your enamel. We’ll additionally add some baking powder, which isn’t the identical factor as baking soda! You possibly can learn extra in regards to the variations between the 2 in my baking powder vs. baking soda publish.
- Vanilla. I exploit two forms of vanilla on this Oreo cookie recipe; pure vanilla within the cookies themselves, and clear vanilla for the filling. Extra on this beneath.
For the Filling
We want simply 5 components for the filling, certainly one of which could shock you: shortening! I usually don’t prefer to bake with shortening, however I discovered it vital right here. Hold studying to search out out why, and your choices for substitutes.
- Butter. As soon as once more, be sure that your butter is softened earlier than getting began. I exploit unsalted butter right here too and add further salt myself.
- Shortening. I discovered no less than some shortening was essential to preserve the filling from being too wealthy. Actual Oreos use shortening of their filling too, so it is sensible to make use of it right here for essentially the most genuine outcomes. Regardless of this, lots of you received’t need to use shortening, and, truthfully, I get it! You possibly can simply substitute the shortening with an equal quantity of butter, however simply comprehend it received’t be as true to the unique and will likely be fairly wealthy.
- Powdered sugar. Very similar to measuring flour, it may be simple to over-measure powdered sugar. Be sure to know the best way to measure correctly to keep away from a frosting that’s too thick or too skinny.
- Clear vanilla. This retains the filling pure white and in addition provides it that traditional Oreo filling taste. You should utilize common vanilla if that’s all you will have available, however the clear vanilla has a extra synthetic style like the actual factor (is that somewhat backwards so that you can learn, too? 🙃).
SAM’S TIP: If you need even BETTER tasting (much less genuine, however higher) home made Oreos, substitute the shortening within the filling for softened (full-fat) cream cheese. Yum!
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
The right way to Make Selfmade Oreo Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar till effectively mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir effectively.
- Mix the dry components in a separate bowl, then step by step add them to the moist components and stir till mixed.
- Kind the dough into two discs, then wrap in plastic. Place within the fridge to sit back for no less than one hour.
- Unwrap one disc of dough and roll it to 1/16-⅛″ thick on a evenly floured floor. Periodically use a spatula to scrape and loosen the dough as you roll to forestall it from sticking.
- In the event you’d like so as to add a sample to your cookies, use an embossed rolling pin or press an the wrong way up grid-patterned cooling rack into your dough to create a diamond form. You may additionally skip this step for texture-free cookies.
- Lower out the cookies with a small circle cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾”). Mix any scraps and re-roll after reducing. Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 1″ aside. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450F.
SAM’S TIP: I personally choose my Oreo cookies to be a bit on the thinner aspect, so I roll them nearer to 1/16″. You’ll get extra cookies this fashion, however you’ll possible must shave a minute off the bake time too.
- Let the cookies cool fully earlier than filling and sandwiching.
- Make the filling by creaming collectively the butter and shortening.
- Progressively add the powdered sugar, then add the vanilla and salt.
- Pipe or unfold the filling onto the flat aspect of 1 cookie, then prime with the flat aspect of one other. Repeat with the remaining cookies, and revel in!
Often Requested Questions
Certain! You possibly can double the frosting recipe when you’d prefer to make your home made Oreos further indulgent. Notice that this frosting is a bit much less stiff than the store-bought type, so it’d squish out whenever you chunk into your cookies when you double stuff them.
Retailer them at room temperature and loved inside 5 days. Sadly the home made model doesn’t final close to so long as the store-bought type (no synthetic preservatives right here), however that’s okay, as a result of these by no means final lengthy in my home anyway!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do that recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Selfmade Oreo Cookie Recipe
Servings: 40 cookies
Stop your display from going darkish
For cookie shells
In a big bowl cream collectively the butter and sugar utilizing an electrical mixer (or use a stand mixer) till effectively mixed.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
Add the egg and vanilla to the butter combination and stir effectively.
1 massive egg, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively the flour, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
1 ¾ cups (220 g) all-purpose flour, ⅔ cups (67 g) black cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Progressively add the dry components to the moist components, mixing till effectively mixed.
Divide the dough into two equal elements, type every right into a disk about 1″ thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for no less than 1 hour earlier than continuing.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Working with one disc of dough at at time, unwrap dough and switch to a clear, evenly floured floor. Calmly sprinkle flour over the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about ⅛-1/16″ (0.2cm) thickness. To assist preserve the dough from sticking to the counter, periodically use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough and loosen it from the counter.
To make the sample proven on my cookies: take a clear, grid-patterned cooling rack and flip it the wrong way up. Gently press into the cookie dough, then gently carry, rotate the cooling rack, and press once more earlier than gently lifting and eradicating. Alternatively, use an embossed rolling pin or skip the design altogether.
Usea small spherical cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾” (4.5cm) circles) to chop out circles and switch to baking sheet, spacing 1” (2.5cm) aside. When you’ve made as many cuts as potential, make sure you recombine the dough scraps, roll out once more, and lower out extra cookies to maximise the dough yield.
Bake the cookies within the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Permit them to chill fully earlier than filling.
For the Filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, cream collectively the softened unsalted butter and shortening utilizing an electrical mixer.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ¼ cup (45 g) vegetable shortening
Progressively add the powdered sugar, stirring till well-combined.
2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Pipe or unfold a skinny layer of the filling on the flat aspect of a cooled cookie, after which sandwich with one other cookie, flat aspect down.
Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Get pleasure from!
I like to recommend black cocoa for finest outcomes. That is the black cocoa that I use. You might substitute Dutch course of cocoa and even pure cocoa, however the coloration and style is not going to be the identical.
I discovered shortening was vital to present these cookies the right style and mouthfeel. Nonetheless, when you merely received’t use shortening, substitute with an equal quantity of butter. Notice the filling will likely be richer, sweeter, and fewer genuine tasting.
Clear vanilla is beneficial for the filling to maintain it pure white and to contribute to the extra synthetic taste of the store-bought Oreo cookie. Be at liberty to substitute with common vanilla extract.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 219IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.5mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.