This strawberry layer cake is actually each strawberry lover’s dream. From strawberry-packed cake layers to strawberry cream cheese frosting, this three-layer cake is completely brimming with mouthwatering strawberry taste from actual fruit. It’s the proper summertime deal with.
The Greatest Strawberry Cake Recipe
Contemporary strawberries are among the best issues about summer season. I’ve all the time liked them – consuming them recent or baked right into a cake. I like a very good strawberry cake combine, however this cake isn’t that. This one is all about the actual, recent strawberry taste. It may be a problem to get sufficient recent strawberry taste to taste a complete cake, however it’s price it. It took just a few renditions to get it proper, however this wonderful dessert was the ultimate consequence, and my oh my was it price it.
Three layers of moist, completely tender cake are loaded with strawberry taste from a strawberry discount constituted of recent strawberries. The layers are stuffed and frosted with a wealthy cream cheese frosting that derives its taste (and it’s beautiful pink coloration) from powdered freeze-dried strawberries. The result’s a fully scrumptious, lovely, festive summertime cake that may have you ever and your company coming again for seconds.
Why You’ll Love This Layer Cake
There are lots of causes to like this cake. Listed below are just a few causes I believe it’s completely excellent.
- Actual strawberry taste. The strawberry taste within the cake and the frosting come from REAL strawberries. No synthetic flavoring right here.
- Texture. The reverse creaming methodology used on this cake offers it a novel texture. It’s mushy, tender and has a stunning density to it that makes it just a little extra substantial than different muffins. I like it.
- Festive. That is the proper cake for a spring or summertime celebration. I believe it will be excellent for a child bathe as a result of it’s so cute and pink, however it will additionally make an awesome dessert for an Easter celebration or a warm-weather celebration.
What You’ll Want
Here’s a listing of substances wanted to make this colourful strawberry cake. Be sure you scroll to the recipe card beneath for actual measurements.
- Quartered strawberries – Be sure that your strawberries are ripe, juicy, and flavorful. In case your strawberries lack taste, your cake will too.
- Bitter cream – So as to add additional moisture to the cake.
- Milk – For moisture.
- Eggs – Be sure you use massive measurement eggs.
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour – Be at liberty to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as a substitute.
- Sugar – Sugar provides sweetness, however it additionally provides moisture and impacts the feel of the cake.
- Baking powder and Baking soda – For the proper rise and texture.
- Salt – To intensify the flavour of the cake. Don’t depart it out.
- Unsalted butter – The butter ought to be at room temperature in any other case it won’t crumble correctly through the reverse creaming course of.
- Pink meals coloration – That is optionally available. It would flip your cake an excellent shade of pink, moderately than being sort of brown-ish coloration.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Freeze-dried strawberries – Cream cheese frosting tends to be thinner, so I like to make use of freeze dried strawberries and never skinny it out with recent strawberries. However in the event you’d favor to not use freeze-dried strawberries, you should utilize recent strawberry discount as a substitute, much like my Selfmade Strawberry Frosting.
- Cream cheese – It’s best if the cream cheese is at room temperature. Whether it is too chilly, you’ll find yourself with a lumpy frosting. I additionally advocate full-fat cream cheese. Decreased fats tends to be thinner and gives you a thinner frosting.
- Unsalted butter – The butter ought to be at room temperature. Whether it is too chilly, the frosting shall be lumpy. Whether it is melted, the frosting shall be runny.
- Powdered sugar – To not solely sweeten the frosting, but in addition to thicken it and provides it quantity.
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped strawberries – For layering between the cake layers and frosting.
Methods to Make Strawberry Layer Cake
Able to make one of the best strawberry cake you’ve ever tasted? Right here’s the best way to do it. Don’t overlook to scroll to the recipe card beneath for extra detailed directions.
To make the muffins
- Make the strawberry discount. Puree the strawberries in a meals processor or blender till easy. Intention for 1 1/2 cups of puree.
- Cook dinner the puree. Convey the puree to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium warmth. Cook dinner for 20-25 minutes till the combination has thickened and lowered to three/4 cup. Stir constantly.
- Cool the lowered puree to room temperature.
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the underside of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the edges with baking spray.
- Mix the moist substances. Combine collectively the strawberry discount, bitter cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Take away about 1 cup of the combination and put aside.
- Mix the dry substances. Whisk collectively the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt within the bowl of a standup mixer.
- Reverse cream. Add the butter about 1 tablespoon at a time to the dry substances, mixing on low velocity till included after every addition.
- Add the moist substances. Add the bigger portion of the egg combination. Stir on low velocity to include. Scrape the edges of the bowl. Beat on medium-high velocity till mild and fluffy. Combine within the remaining egg combination and the pink meals coloring (if utilizing) on low velocity. Scrape the edges of the bowl. Combine on medium-high velocity till properly mixed.
- Bake. Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake for 24-26 minutes.
- Cool. Take away the muffins from the oven and permit them to chill of their pans for 2-3 minutes. Switch them to cooling racks to chill fully.
For the frosting
- Mix. Add the freeze-dried strawberries to a meals processor and grind them right into a powder.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter collectively till easy.
- Sweeten it up. Add half of the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and blend till easy. Add remaining powdered sugar and strawberry powder and blend till easy. Add some salt, to style.
- Take away the domes from the tops of the muffins with a serrated knife.
- Layer. Place one cake on a serving plate. Unfold 1 cup of strawberry frosting evenly over the cake. Press half of the chopped strawberries into the frosting. Repeat with the second layer. Prime with the third layer.
- Frost the surface of the cake and, with the remaining frosting, pipe shells across the backside and high edges of the cake. Add just a few strawberries on high.
What’s The Reverse Creaming Technique?
This cake is exclusive in its use of the reverse creaming methodology. Usually, when making a cake, you’d cream the butter and sugar collectively, then alternate including the remaining moist substances and dry substances. The reverse creaming methodology is just a little totally different. Right here’s the best way to do it.
- Mix the moist substances (apart from the butter).
- Mix the dry substances.
- Slowly combine the butter into the dry substances till you obtain a sandy texture.
- Add the moist substances in two elements, mixing properly after every addition.
That’s all! “Why use this methodology?” you would possibly ask. Properly, it’s fairly simple and the ensuing cake has a stunning, distinctive texture. It’s so tender and silky with simply the correct quantity of crumble. It’s just a little denser than a conventional cake however it isn’t too heavy. It’s excellent.
Ideas for Making Strawberry Cake from Scratch
Layer muffins can appear intimidating however I promise that you are able to do it. I’ve compiled just a few easy ideas and tips that may assist set you up for fulfillment. Right here they arrive.
- Get the strawberries proper. The overwhelming majority of strawberry taste on this cake is coming from actual, recent strawberries. So make sure that to select additional candy, flavorful berries. In any other case, you gained’t get the flavour you might be in search of.
- Maintain it shifting. When lowering the strawberry puree, you should definitely stir constantly. The pure sugars within the strawberries are susceptible to burn. Retaining the combination shifting will assist forestall that.
- Be affected person. When cooking the strawberry puree, It is crucial that it reduces to three/4 cup, in any other case the cake batter may have an excessive amount of moisture in it. Be affected person and don’t overlook to measure.
- Begin with room-temperature substances. The butter within the cake batter in addition to the butter and the cream cheese within the frosting should be at room temperature. The butter within the batter won’t crumble correctly through the reverse creaming course of whether it is too chilly or in any respect melted. In the case of the frosting, utilizing cream cheese or butter that’s too chilly will lead to a lumpy frosting. Moreover, If the butter within the frosting is melted, the frosting will find yourself runny. So suppose forward and let your substances sit out at room temperature for a bit earlier than utilizing.
- Scrape. When combining the moist and dry substances, you will need to scrape the edges of the bowl periodically. It will convey any substances clinging to the bowl again into the batter to be blended in.
- Let it cool. Earlier than stacking and frosting, enable the muffins to chill fully. In any other case, the frosting will slide proper off. Nobody needs that.
The pink frosting and the recent strawberries on this cake are fairly sufficient, however in case you are feeling additional festive, listed here are some adorning concepts that may take this cake to the following stage.
- Flowers. I like the thought of including recent, edible flowers to the highest of this summertime cake.
- Coloured frosting. Put aside about 1 cup of frosting earlier than including the powdered freeze-dried strawberries. Shade it with gel icing coloration and use the coloured frosting to pipe shells across the backside and high edges of the cake.
- Sprinkles. I like a very good cake coated in fun sprinkles.
Methods to Retailer Leftover Strawberry Cake
If you end up with leftover selfmade strawberry cake. Retailer it in an hermetic cake service. I like to recommend this cake carrier. You may additionally wrap the cake in a double layer of plastic wrap. Use toothpicks to prop the plastic away from any decorations. Already sliced the cake? Organize the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. In any case, retailer the cake within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Permit it to come back near room temperature earlier than serving.
Can I Freeze This?
You may, simply remember that the strawberries in between the layers might get just a little mushy. Pop the cake within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap and returning it to the freezer. For those who already sliced the cake, prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container and place it within the freezer. Complete or sliced, it could actually keep there for as much as 3 months. Permit the cake to thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Strawberry Desserts
It’s strawberry season and I’m so excited. This strawberry layer cake is just about nearly as good because it will get however listed here are just a few different excellent strawberry desserts so that you can strive. Completely happy baking!
This Selfmade Strawberry Cake is filled with candy, recent strawberry taste! Moist strawberry cake layers are paired with a strawberry cream cheese frosting for the last word strawberry cake! The feel isn’t mild and fluffy, however as a substitute tender with a decent crumb. You would possibly even discover it just a little dense, however not too heavy.
- 3 cups (400g) of quartered strawberries*
- 3/4 cup (173g) bitter cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 4 massive eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all function flour (measured correctly)
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 7–9 drops pink meals coloration, optionally available
Strawberry cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups (46g) freeze dried strawberries*
- 16 oz (452g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (172g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
To make the muffins
- To make the strawberry discount, add the strawberries to a meals processor or blender and puree till easy. It is best to have about 1 1/2 cups of puree.
- Add the puree to a medium sized saucepan and cook dinner over medium warmth. Permit the combination to come back to a gradual boil, stirring constantly to maintain it from burning, till it has thickened and lowered to three/4 cup, about 20-25 minutes. To measure, pour the puree right into a measuring cup. If it’s greater than 3/4 cup, add it again to the pan and proceed cooking.
- When the puree has thickened and lowered, pour into a big measuring cup and permit to chill to not less than room temperature. This strawberry combination might be made forward, in the event you like, and saved within the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and put together three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper within the backside and baking spray on the edges.
- Mix the strawberry discount, bitter cream, milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a big bowl, then separate about 1 cup of the combination into one other bowl or measuring cup. About 1 1/2 cups ought to stay within the different bowl. Set each apart.
- In a big mixer bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on the bottom velocity, add the butter a few tablespoon at a time, permitting it to include earlier than including the following tablespoon. As you add extra butter, the combination will begin to clump collectively a bit a ought to find yourself resembling moist sand.
- Add the bigger of the reserved egg combination (about 1 1/2 cups) to the dry substances/butter combination. Stir on the bottom velocity till it’s included, then scrape down the edges of the bowl.
- Improve the velocity to medium excessive and beat till mild and fluffy, about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Scrape down the edges of the bowl.
- Flip the velocity all the way down to low and slowly add the remaining egg combination in a gradual stream till included.
- Scrape the edges of the bowl, then flip velocity again as much as medium excessive and blend till properly mixed, about 10-15 seconds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake 24-26 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Take away muffins from the oven and permit to chill for 2-3 minutes, then take away to cooling rack to chill fully.
For the frosting
- To make the frosting, add the freeze-dried strawberries to a meals processor and grind right into a powder. It ought to provide you with just a little greater than half a cup of strawberry powder.
- In a big mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively till easy.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and blend till easy.
- Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and strawberry powder and blend till easy. Add some salt, to style. Put aside.
- To place the cake collectively, use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the muffins in order that they’re flat. Confer with my tutorial, if wanted. Place the primary cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake spherical.
- Add about 1 cup of frosting to the highest of the cake layer and unfold evenly. Add about half of the chopped strawberries and press into the frosting.
- Add the second layer of cake, one other cup of frosting and the remaining chopped strawberries.
- Prime the cake with the remaining layer and frost the cake with the remaining frosting. Confer with my tutorial for frosting a easy cake, if wanted.
- Pipe the shell border across the high and backside of the cake. I used a big closed star tip for the highest – Ateco 847. For the border across the backside of the cake, I used Wilton tip 22.
- Add just a few strawberries on high for adornment and refrigerate till able to serve. Cake is finest when saved properly coated and eaten inside 3-4 days.
NOTE: I used a full pound of strawberries for the puree for the cake layers and extra strawberries for between the cake layers. Your strawberries MUST have nice taste to ensure that your cake to have any taste. In case your strawberries are missing, your cake shall be too.
For those who’d favor to not use freeze dried strawberries, you should utilize recent strawberries. Simply take a look at my Selfmade Strawberry Frosting.
- Serving Measurement: 1 slice
- Energy: 696
- Sugar: 95.1 g
- Sodium: 291.4 mg
- Fats: 23.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 116.8 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 101.5 mg
Key phrases: strawberry cake, strawberry layer cake, selfmade strawberry cake