My straightforward Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is 100% from scratch and SO flavorful. Merely sauté floor meat and veggies in a do-it-yourself gravy, high with mashed potatoes, and bake! Recipe features a how-to video!
The BEST Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
My ultra-cozy shepherd’s pie recipe is so hearty and satisfying, you’ll be onerous pressed to not return for seconds. Flavorful lamb or beef, crisp-tender veggies, and a silky do-it-yourself gravy all topped with fluffy mashed potatoes…that is true consolation meals!
Very like my salisbury steak, this 100% from-scratch recipe tastes SO a lot better (and is healthier for you) than one made with store-bought soup or gravy combine. We’ll use a handful of straightforward pantry staples to create a powerful depth of taste everybody will love. It makes for a easy and filling weeknight meal, or a enjoyable and festive St. Patrick’s day dinner (alongside some soda bread, after all)!
In addition to the style, the shining high quality of this shepherd’s pie recipe is how simply it comes collectively. You don’t want any fancy instruments (I simply run a fork over my potatoes after spreading) and whereas there’s a justifiable share of mincing and chopping, this recipe may be very newbie pleasant.
What You Want
Let’s get acquainted with as we speak’s substances earlier than heading over to the range. Most significantly, you have to:
- Floor meat. Shepherd’s pie is historically made with lamb and you’re welcome to make use of that right here (it’s unbelievable this manner!), however you should utilize both beef or lamb (and even hen or turkey!) in my shepherd’s pie recipe. Lamb is just not available the place I stay, so I usually go for beef.
- Veggies. Together with the classics: peas, carrots, onions, and potatoes (both russet or gold, for the mash on high). If you wish to up the veggie issue and add in some frozen corn with the peas, that works, too!
- Spices. Together with parsley, thyme, and black pepper. Including some chopped contemporary parsley as a garnish simply earlier than serving is all the time a good suggestion!
- Flour. A little bit of flour thickens the sauce and helps it cling to the meat, making a hearty dish somewhat than a soupy one.
- Worcestershire sauce. This provides depth of taste alongside the tomato paste and beef broth. You could possibly substitute coconut aminos for the Worcestershire!
- Parmesan cheese. Grate your personal cheese so it may well seamlessly mix into your mashed potatoes. Pre-shredded/grated cheeses comprise anti-caking brokers that forestall them from melting properly (I discuss this in my bacon mac and cheese submit too!).
SAM’S TIP: I’ll generally add a pinch (like a teaspoon) of brown sugar in with the meat for further depth of taste. If you happen to do that, watch out to not add an excessive amount of, or you may find yourself making a barbecue/sloppy joe -esque taste.
How you can Make Shepherd’s Pie
This meal isn’t tough to make in any respect, but it surely isn’t a zippy-quick 30 minute dinner, both. To chop down on meeting time, I’ll usually minimize my veggies upfront and even make the whole dish a day or a number of hours upfront of serving.
Put together the Floor Meat Layer
- Cook dinner the onions and carrots in melted butter and oil till softened. Stir within the garlic and prepare dinner till aromatic.
- And the bottom beef and prepare dinner till browned, crumbling as you go. Drain any extra grease if wanted.
- Stir within the tomato paste, vinegar, salt, and spices.
- Add the flour and stir till absorbed, then prepare dinner for an additional 30 seconds or so (this toasts the flour a bit and helps develop the flavour).
- Slowly drizzle within the broth whereas stirring and scraping the underside of the pan (we’re deglazing/eradicating any browned bits from the underside, provides tons of taste and makes for a a lot simpler to wash pan in a while!).
- Add Worcestershire sauce and let simmer till thickened. Style check for seasonings, then stir within the peas.
Put together the Mashed Potatoes
- Boil potatoes in salted water till tender, then drain and place again within the heat pot (a minute or so within the pot lets the surplus water steam off, holding the potatoes from being too moist!).
- Add the flavoring – Add milk, butter, cheese, and seasonings.
- Mash till easy, then unfold the potatoes over the meat and veggie combination.
- Rake and bake – Rake the highest of the potatoes with a fork earlier than baking at 400F for 20-25 minutes. I search for a number of the potatoes to be starting to brown. For extra browning, broil the dish for a number of minutes (maintain a detailed eye, you may go from golden brown to burnt shepherd’s pie in a rush!).
SAM’S TIP: I prefer to let the meat relaxation whereas I put together the mashed potatoes. This makes it simpler to unfold and retains the potatoes from simply sinking into the meat within the oven (maintains two outlined layers). You could possibly actually begin making the potatoes the identical time that you simply begin the meat to save lots of time, however there’s nothing unsuitable with the meat sitting whilst you put together the mashed potatoes.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sure! Retailer your shepherd’s pie in an hermetic container and freeze for a number of months. To reheat from frozen, let thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than baking. It is going to doubtless want a number of further minutes within the oven.
Technically as we speak’s recipe is definitely a cottage pie recipe as a result of I made it with beef (don’t come at me within the feedback, please!). True shepherd’s pie is made with lamb, however that isn’t available the place I stay. Cottage pie is made with beef, not lamb; nonetheless, a lot of the shepherd’s pies I’ve eaten have been made this manner and it’s usually made this manner in America. You’ll be able to
Sure! Simply prep, assemble, and canopy earlier than storing within the fridge. It is going to doubtless want a number of further minutes within the oven and I’ll generally cowl it with foil for the primary 10 or quarter-hour.
SAM’S TIP: I’ll often make a easy gravy to serve on the facet with this shepherd’s pie recipe. It’s not mandatory, however should you like numerous gravy, it’s good to have further to serve atop the potatoes.
Serve yours with some crusty sourdough bread (recipe on its approach!) for an entire & hearty meal!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do that recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram or discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 4 servings
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
Add butter and oil to a ten” (25cm) oven-safe skillet (see be aware) and prepare dinner over medium/excessive warmth till butter is melted and skillet is scorching.
1 Tablespoon butter, 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Add onions and carrots and prepare dinner till softened, about 5 minutes.
1 medium yellow onion, 3 giant carrots
Add garlic and prepare dinner till aromatic (about 30 seconds).
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Add floor beef and prepare dinner, crumbling as you go, till meat is browned. Drain extra grease if/as wanted.
1 lb floor lamb or floor beef
As soon as beef is generally cooked, add tomato paste, vinegar, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley and prepare dinner, stirring, till beef is totally browned.
1 ½ Tablespoons tomato paste, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, ½ teaspoon dried parsley
Sprinkle flour overtop and prepare dinner, stirring, till flour is totally absorbed after which prepare dinner one other 30 seconds whereas stirring.
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Whereas stirring, slowly drizzle in beef broth till mixed (be certain that to scrape the underside of the pan!).
1 cup beef broth
Add worcestershire and simmer, stirring often, till sauce is thickened. Style-test sauce and add salt/pepper if wanted.
2 ½ Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
Stir in peas. Take away from warmth and put aside whilst you put together the potatoes.
½ cup frozen peas
Place potatoes in a big pot of cool water and add salt. Cook dinner till potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
2 lbs russet or gold potatoes
Drain potatoes and return to pot. Allow them to sit within the pot for a minute (to permit the water to evaporate), stirring a few times, earlier than continuing.
Add butter, milk, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese and use a potato masher to mash till easy. Style-test and add extra salt/pepper as wanted.
⅓ cup unsalted butter, ½ cup milk, ¼ heaping teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon floor black pepper, ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
High the meat layer with a fair layer of potatoes. If desired, rake a fork throughout the floor (helps promote browning).
Switch skillet to middle of 400F (205C) oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or till potatoes on high are starting to brown. If you happen to’re nervous about your skillet being too full, place a foil lined baking sheet beneath it to catch any doable spills. For deep browning on high of the potatoes, broil for 1-2 minutes earlier than eradicating from oven.
Serve heat and luxuriate in!
If you happen to wouldn’t have a enough 10” oven-safe skillet, you may put together the meat in a skillet after which switch it to a ten” pie plate or a casserole dish as an alternative earlier than layering with potatoes after which baking.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Leftovers might also be frozen in an hermetic container for a number of months.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 810kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 32g | Fats: 49g | Saturated Fats: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 18g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 1221mg | Potassium: 1753mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 8608IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 254mg | Iron: 6mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.