Juicy blueberries convey their pure sweetness to this fast and straightforward blueberry sauce topping. This makes for a scrumptious completion on so many various desserts like cheesecake and ice cream, and turns easy breakfast meals like complete wheat pancakes, oatmeal, and yogurt into one thing particular. You want simply 6 components (together with water!), and you need to use both recent or frozen blueberries.
Don’t you simply love a flexible berry sauce topping, that’s as welcome on the breakfast desk as it’s on a dessert? A topping at all times takes desserts to the subsequent degree, each by way of taste and in presentation for serving. I’ve raspberry dessert sauce and strawberry sauce topping… so clearly it’s about time we invite blueberries to the get together.
This recipe is similar to the topping I exploit on blueberry cream cheese pie, however, nicely, saucier. For that pie topping, you need a thicker, jammier topping that units up sufficient to remain collectively whenever you slice into the pie.
For this blueberry sauce topping, you need to have the ability to spoon or pour it on high of a slice of lemon cheesecake, or a dish of ice cream (perhaps even blueberry crumble ice cream!). It additionally tastes phenomenal on pancakes & waffles, stirred into yogurt, and spooned over cream cheese French toast casserole. To sum up: blueberry sauce is limitless.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Blueberry Topping
- Make it with both recent or frozen blueberries
- Comes collectively on the range in lower than 10 minutes
- Naturally candy from the berries—add simply 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- So versatile—scrumptious on so many desserts and even breakfast meals
- Serve heat, chilly, or room temperature—your selection!
- Freezes nicely, so nice make-ahead recipe
Have you ever ever made my blueberry swirl cheesecake? Right now’s topping is a bit saucier than what you utilize for that cheesecake. Practically similar style, although.
Seize These 6 Components:
- Water: I exploit extra water on this sauce than in comparable recipes on my web site as a result of blueberries don’t actually break down as a lot as, say, raspberries. We would like this to be a pourable/spoonable consistency proper off the warmth.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient barely thickens the sauce. You don’t want a lot, however you could mix it with a bit of liquid earlier than including to the berries, in any other case you’ll have lumps of powdery cornstarch in your completed sauce. Cornstarch is usually combined with water to make a “slurry” earlier than utilizing in sauces; see strawberry sauce for instance.
- Lemon Juice: The sauce wants *one thing* to stability the berry and sugar, and lemon juice gives that trace of brightness. Don’t go away it out, or the flavour will fall flat.
- Contemporary or Frozen Blueberries: Blueberries are so handy—no peeling, pitting, or chopping required! (That’s why blueberry pie is my #1 selection for a summer time pie.) Once they’re not in season, be happy to make use of frozen blueberries. If utilizing frozen, you don’t have to stir/mash the combination as a lot as a result of the blueberries break down simpler.
- Sugar: As a result of blueberries are so naturally candy, you solely want a bit of sugar to sweeten this sauce—simply 2 Tablespoons.
- Vanilla Extract: Stir in a small splash of vanilla as soon as the sauce comes off the warmth. Vanilla offers the sauce dessert vibes. 😉
Find out how to Make It
You’ll cook dinner the combination down on the range. Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively first, and be sure you’re mashing a few of the blueberries together with your spoon or silicone spatula because it heats. That is particularly necessary if utilizing recent blueberries. With frozen berries, you gained’t want to interrupt them down fairly as a lot as a result of the thawing liquid is there to assist.
You might be in command of the thickness and consistency of this blueberry sauce topping—all of it comes right down to what number of blueberries you mash whereas the combination cooks.
After 3 minutes, stir within the cornstarch “slurry” constituted of cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Let that cook dinner and thicken for a couple of minutes earlier than eradicating from warmth. Then stir within the vanilla.
You’re carried out!
The combination thickens because it cools. Off warmth, it’s heat and drippy. After cooling and refrigerating, it thickens into a skinny preserves-like consistency. If desired, you may reheat the blueberry sauce topping to skinny it out.
I find it irresistible heat on ice cream:
Can This Be a Filling for a Layer Cake?
Not as written, no. I haven’t efficiently examined a thicker cake filling model of this but; nevertheless, you would attempt decreasing the water and growing the cornstarch a bit. Or attempt my raspberry cake filling as a substitute.
It may work as a cupcake filling, although! Be sure it’s utterly cooled earlier than filling.
Makes use of for Blueberry Sauce Topping
Can I bake this in desserts? Sure, you may bake this in desserts. For instance, you may swap the raspberry swirl in these white chocolate raspberry cheesecake bars with this blueberry sauce (no have to pressure, simply swirl the chunky sauce into the cheesecake filling). You may additionally skip the apples on this apple crumb cake and add a layer of blueberry sauce beneath the crumb topping; and swap in blueberry sauce for the jam in these raspberry streusel bars and this raspberry twist bread.
This blueberry sauce topping comes collectively shortly and simply on the range, and could be loved heat or chilly on many desserts and breakfast meals. You should utilize recent or frozen blueberries.
- Whisk the cornstarch, water, and lemon juice collectively till all of the cornstarch has dissolved. (I simply use a fork to combine—very straightforward.) Put aside.
- Heat the blueberries and sugar collectively in a small saucepan over medium warmth. With a wood spoon or sturdy silicone spatula, stir constantly for 3 minutes, gently smashing the berries in opposition to the perimeters of the pan to assist them launch some juices. (For those who used frozen blueberries, you gained’t have to smash them as a lot as a result of they are going to naturally break down as they thaw over warmth.) After 3 minutes, add the cornstarch combination and proceed to stir for one more 2–3 minutes, smashing extra berries if wanted. The combination will begin to thicken.
- Take away from warmth and stir within the vanilla. Permit to chill. The combination is liquid and drippy, however thickens significantly because it cools.
- You’ll be able to serve the sauce heat earlier than it cools utterly if desired, or retailer within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Blueberry topping can be thick after refrigeration, so microwave for 15 seconds or heat on the range to skinny out, if desired.
- Freezing Directions: After the blueberry sauce cools utterly, freeze in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3–6 months. Thaw on the counter or within the fridge. Heat up within the microwave or on the range, if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Small Sauce Pan | Sturdy Silicone Spatula
- Different berries: I like to recommend my raspberry sauce and strawberry sauce recipes as a substitute.
- Lemon: Lemon brightens the flavour. You want 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of recent lemon juice.
- Chunks: The consistency is as much as you. For fewer blueberry chunks, smash the berries a bit of extra because the sauce cooks. For no blueberry chunks, puree the completed sauce in a blender till you attain your required consistency.
Key phrases: blueberry sauce topping