With a caramelized crust and loads of melty cheese, these is a restaurant-quality smash burger recipe! Simply 10 minutes to make on the range and features a easy burger sauce too!
Fast & Simple Smash Burger Recipe
Crispy edges and juicy insides, these smash burgers are simple to make and are available collectively in a FLASH! The burgers are cooked by way of (effectively achieved, no pink inside), however as a result of they’re so skinny, they keep flavorful, tender, and juicy.
What makes these burgers so good:
- Juicy & flavorful: searing the chilled meat in a scorching pan locks within the taste and the juices.
- Melty, creamy American cheese: a traditional alternative for any smash burger! However you may at all times use one thing else like cheddar, pepper jack, and many others. I truthfully often steer clear of American cheese, however there’s one thing traditional about it’s creamy texture towards the burter.
- Simple 4-ingredient smash burger sauce: my favourite half! That is non-compulsory, however I extremely advocate including it (takes 30 seconds to make).
- Toasted buns: toasting the buns in butter provides one other unimaginable dimension of taste. Be happy to make use of my burger buns or potato buns right here.
- Countless toppings: recent tomato, crisp lettuce, tangy pickles–go wild!
One of the best half about my smash burger recipe is that you just don’t want a elaborate flat high grill or burger press. I merely use a flat forged iron skillet and a mixture of enormous spatula and mallet to press my burgers. Belief me, they style superb this manner. Hooray for selfmade!
What You Want
My smash burger recipe is about so simple as you will get whereas nonetheless sustaining mouth-watering taste. Right here is every thing you will want to make them:
- Floor beef. The magic of the smash burger (that crisp, caramelized crust) comes from the mixture of excessive warmth and the excessive fats content material of the burger. Due to this, smash burgers don’t work as effectively with a leaner floor beef, so intention for an 80-85% meat to fats ratio. Floor chuck would additionally work splendidly right here.
- Cheese. Whereas I’m usually a cheddar cheese lady, I believe processed American cheese is finest on a smash burger. Be happy to make use of no matter kind of cheese you want right here although!
- Buns. Toasting the burger buns in butter on the skillet provides much more taste to this smash burger recipe. You’ll solely must cook dinner the buns very briefly–they toast shortly!
- Toppings. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, bacon, or all the above! I additionally love including caramelized onions; I’ll make a batch upfront and reheat once I’m able to serve. They’re sooooo good, and everybody go nuts for them!
- Sauce. My simple smash burger sauce combines mayo, ketchup, relish, and paprika. It’s non-compulsory, however I really feel that it’s what actually takes this smash burger recipe excessive (and it’s a lot better than simply ketchup and mustard)!
SAM’S TIP: A forged iron skillet or griddle is finest for cooking the smash burgers, although a stainless-steel pan might additionally work. Frivolously oil your pan earlier than utilizing and let it get HOT and smoking earlier than you cook dinner your burgers. You’ll undoubtedly need to flip in your stovetop kitchen fan whereas cooking!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
How you can Make a Smash Burger (and my customized sauce)
- Make the sauce. Whisk collectively the elements for the sauce till mixed. Cowl and refrigerate till you’re prepared to make use of.
- Prep the meat. I allot 4 oz (113g) per burger. Be very light and simply loosely type the meat into spherical balls. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the tops of every ball. Pop this within the fridge or freezer when you begin heating the pan.
- Frivolously oil a forged iron pan and warmth over medium-high warmth till smoking. It’s important that the pan be very popular/smoking. Add a ball of the chilled and seasoned floor beef to the pan, seasoned aspect down, then instantly press straight down till flat. You should utilize a burger press for this step, however I simply use a big spatula and mallet (pictured above).
- Prepare dinner till a crust kinds (roughly 1 minute, don’t cook dinner both aspect too lengthy otherwise you’ll make the burgers powerful). Whereas this cooks, I’ll sprinkle the floor of the patty with extra salt and pepper. Subsequent, use a spatula to scrape up the burger and flip. Ensure you scrape that caramelized crust with the patty!
SAM’S TIP: Caramelization is the magic of a smash burger! It provides taste, retains the within juicy, and provides such a stunning texture. No matter you do, DON’T lose that crispy caramelization when flipping the burgers! Use your spatula to scrape as you go underneath the patty to make sure to you get each final little bit of that caramelization.
- Prepare dinner the burger till achieved, about 45 seconds or so, earlier than transferring to a clear plate. For those who’d like, you may add a slice of cheese right here, too, so it can begin melting. I then switch the burger to a plate and canopy with foil to maintain heat.
- Toast the buns. Add butter to the new pan, and, as soon as melted, flip off the pan and add your buns cut-side down. Prepare dinner till the buns are heat and toasted (this takes solely seconds), then serve.
SAM’S TIP: When you smash the burgers, don’t re-smash! Additionally, resist the urge to peek beneath to verify for caramelization; doing this might really damage any caramelization that has shaped.
Often Requested Questions
Some folks recommending freezing the patties earlier than making the smash burgers. Whilst you do need the meat to be chilly, it shouldn’t be frozen. Holding the burgers within the freezer or fridge for a couple of minutes when you put together your pan will work wonderful.
Smash burgers originated in Kentucky and the identify comes from the strategy of smashing chilly floor beef towards a very popular pan or griddle till it’s seared. This system creates skinny and juicy burgers with crispy, caramelized exteriors. Smash burgers are sometimes served with two patties on one bun since they’re thinner than conventional burgers.
Usually a smash burger is cooked all over, so there shouldn’t be any pink within the heart. It is because any such burger is cooked on the next warmth till caramelization happens.
So, if you’re cooking your burgers correctly, they seemingly won’t have a pink heart–however that’s wonderful! They are going to have unimaginable taste and are designed to be this manner.
I do know this smash burger recipe is about so far as potential from my typical cookies and desserts, however I critically can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s cook dinner collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe beneath! For those who do this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Facebook
With a caramelized crust and loads of melty cheese, that is my restaurant-quality smash burger recipe! Simply 10 minutes to make on the range and features a easy burger sauce too!
Servings: 4 servings
Stop your display from going darkish
For the Sauce
Whisk collectively mayo, ketchup, relish, and smoked paprika till well-combined. Cowl and refrigerate till prepared to make use of for burgers.
¼ cup (60 g) mayonnaise, 1 Tablespoons (17 g) ketchup, 1 Tablespoons (20 g) candy relish, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
Put together the patties: Line a plate with wax paper. Divide beef into 4 equal (4oz/113g) items. Use your fingers to loosely type every right into a spherical ball. Don’t overwork the meat, simply gently type it right into a ball.
1 lb (453 g) 80-85% floor beef
Season and chill: Place meatballs on a wax paper lined plate and sprinkle the tops with salt and pepper. Preserve chilly in fridge or freezer when you preheat your pan.
Salt and pepper
Put together the pan: Drizzle a teaspoon of oil over a forged iron pan and use a paper towel to smear it evenly over the floor. Flip warmth to medium-high and warmth till pan is smoking.
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Smash the burgers: Add a ball of meat to the pan. Instantly use your burger press or massive spatula to firmly press straight down on the burger and smash it flat (if utilizing a spatula, grip a mallet and use that that can assist you press into the burger, see photograph in publish for visible if wanted). If meat sticks to the press, you might place a sq. of parchment paper over it earlier than flattening.
Prepare dinner for about 1 minute, till a crust has shaped on the burger (keep away from the temptation to re-squish the burger or flip it early!). Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper whereas it cooks.
Flip. Use spatula to scrape up the burger (you need to make sure to scrape up all of the caramelized crust and never depart something behind), flip, and add a slice of cheese if desired. Prepare dinner by way of (roughly 45 seconds longer). Switch burgers to a clear plate and canopy with foil when you toast the buns.
Toast the buns: Instantly add butter to the new pan. As soon as melted, flip off pan and place burger buns cut-side down on the skillet and cook dinner briefly, till heat and toasted on the underside.
1 Tablespoon salted butter, 4 burger buns
Assemble & get pleasure from: Unfold burger sauce onto toasted buns, high with burgers and any extra desired toppings and luxuriate in instantly.
Making ready upfront
Sauce will be ready as much as 5 days upfront, retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge. Burger balls could also be ready as much as 2 days upfront, cowl rightly with plastic wrap and retailer within the fridge.
Here’s a burger press you can buy, however personally I take advantage of a makeshift press. I press a big spatula straight down onto the meat and use a mallet to press into the spatula to press it even thinner.
In case your burgers are sticking to the spatula, place a sq. of parchment paper over the ball of meat earlier than urgent down. Take away parchment instantly after urgent.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 25g | Fats: 33g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 8g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 404mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.