This buttery tender snickerdoodle cake is swirled with cinnamon sugar and topped with a brown sugar cinnamon cream cheese frosting. I enhance mine semi-naked type with mini snickerdoodle cookies on prime! Recipe features a how-to video!
A Enjoyable Fall Birthday Cake: Snickerdoodle Cake
Spice cake at all times makes a comfy fall birthday cake, however if you would like one thing somewhat lighter and extra whimsical, do this snickerdoodle cake!
Why you’ll adore this cake:
- Primarily based on my well-loved yellow cake recipe, however made with the reverse creaming methodology for a melt-in-your mouth crumb.
- Fairly cinnamon sugar ripple provides snickerdoodle taste with out being overwhelming.
- The straightforward brown sugar cinnamon cream cheese frosting has that quintessential snickerdoodle tang, AND isn’t too candy.
- Lovable mini snickerdoodle cookie ornament: these are completely non-obligatory however a lot enjoyable! To make them, merely put together a half batch of my snickerdoodle recipe (I exploit an entire egg) and use ¾-1 teaspoon of dough per cookie.
Whereas I do embody directions for making this recipe in a 9×13 pan, I encourage you to attempt your hand at snickerdoodle cake in layer cake kind! My video beneath will stroll you thru all of the steps, and you may at all times take a look at my submit on learn how to enhance a cake if you happen to want extra pointers.
What You Want
This snickerdoodle cake recipe makes use of simply 12 elements for each the cake and the frosting! Let’s go over a number of of them earlier than we begin baking.
- Cake flour. Cake flour is my choice, however you’ll be able to substitute all-purpose if that’s all you will have readily available. In the event you do, you will want 3 cups or 375g.
- Butter and oil. My recipe makes use of a mix of oil and butter to make a snickerdoodle cake that’s tremendous tender and moist. The oil will even stop the cake from drying out within the fridge. My most well-liked oil these days has been avocado oil, however you might additionally use vegetable or canola oil.
- Baking powder. Sure, you will want a full tablespoon of baking powder! This isn’t a typo.
- Buttermilk. This provides a refined tang and a few moisture as effectively. Be sure that your buttermilk and your eggs are each at room temperature earlier than including them to the batter.
- Cream cheese. Be sure that to make use of block type, full fats cream cheese. Low fats or spreadable cream cheese might make your frosting too runny.
You may discover this snickerdoodle cake is lacking a traditional cookie ingredient: cream of tartar! I discuss extra about this alternative within the FAQ part beneath.
SAM’S TIP: Use all room temperature elements for the cake batter. This can make combining the elements a lot simpler and can yield a extra clean, velvety cake batter.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Learn how to Make Snickerdoodle Cake
Reverse Creaming Technique
I first launched this methodology with my caramel cake, and since then, I’ve been just a bit obsessive about it! Not solely does it yield a stunning, plush cake texture, nevertheless it additionally safeguards towards over-mixing. It’s practically unimaginable to over-mix a cake when utilizing the reverse creaming methodology!
- Whisk collectively the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then add a tablespoon of butter and blend on low velocity till included.
- Proceed including the remaining butter, working one tablespoon at a time and ready till every tablespoon is totally included earlier than including the subsequent. Once you’re completed, the combination could have a sandy texture.
- Stir within the oil along with your mixer on low velocity till all the things is moistened.
- Mix the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl, then regularly add this to the dry elements along with your mixer on low velocity. Be sure that to pause to scrape the edges and backside of the bowl.
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl + Frosting
- Divide the cake batter greased, floured, and parchment lined pans, then sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of cinnamon sugar over every pan. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon sugar into the batter.
- Bake the desserts at 350F for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear or with a number of moist crumbs. Don’t over-bake! Invert the desserts onto cooling racks after quarter-hour and let cool fully earlier than frosting.
- Make the frosting – Beat the cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar till clean and creamy, then add the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Step by step add the powdered sugar and blend till clean.
- Degree your desserts if wanted, then stack and frost as desired. I don’t use a lot frosting between the layers as a result of I love to do ornamental swirls on prime, which provides a whole lot of frosting. I exploit the Ateco 846 tip for the swirls.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t stress an excessive amount of about your cinnamon sugar swirl; it doesn’t must be excellent! Simply do your finest to work it into the cake batter (not an excessive amount of although–we don’t wish to lose the swirl!). Even when it doesn’t end up precisely the way you hoped, it would nonetheless style superb!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
You need to use this frosting for easy decorations (like I did within the pictures above), however if you wish to do extra intricate piping like you’ll be able to with my conventional cream cheese frosting, you will want so as to add extra sugar. You have to about one further cup of powdered sugar to get this to a sturdy, pipeable consistency.
Whereas I initially tried many variations of this snickerdoodle cake with cream of tartar (making an attempt to emulate the elements of a traditional snickerdoodle), in the end it didn’t make the perfect cake base. As a substitute, we’ll add some buttermilk, which makes the cake appropriately tangy and tremendous moist too! That is additionally why I exploit cream cheese within the frosting; it emulates that traditional snickerdoodle tang with out being overwhelmingly cream tacky!
You can, however since this snickerdoodle cake recipe is admittedly designed to be eaten with a fork, I’d advocate you attempt my snickerdoodle cupcakes as an alternative. That recipe makes use of a unique method (conventional creaming methodology) for sturdier, completely handheld outcomes.
If you’re a fan of snickerdoodle cookies, please do this snickerdoodle cake and let me know what you suppose!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do this recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 12 servings
Stop your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Flippantly grease and flour the edges and bottoms of three 8” spherical baking pans. Put aside.
In a big bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) whisk collectively flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt till well-combined.
3 ⅓ cups (375 g) cake flour, 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar, 1 Tablespoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt
Utilizing an electrical mixer on low velocity, add butter one tablespoon at a time. Don’t add the subsequent tablespoon till the primary has been totally included. Combination ought to resemble sandy, coarse crumbs.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
Add the oil and stir on low-speed till the entire dry elements have been moistened.
½ cup (118 ml) impartial cooking oil
In a separate bowl (I exploit a big measuring cup) whisk collectively buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract till effectively mixed.
1 ⅓ cup buttermilk, 3 massive eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
With mixer on low-speed, regularly pour milk combination into flour combination. As soon as mixed, scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl utilizing a spatula. Stir as soon as extra till batter is uniform and clean.
Evenly divide cake batter into ready pans and put together cinnamon swirl.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively sugar and cinnamon for cake swirl
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 ½ teaspoons floor cinnamon
Sprinkle a heaping Tablespoon of cinnamon/sugar over every cake layer. Use a butter knife to swirl the combination into the cake batter..
Switch desserts to middle rack of 350F (175C) oven and bake for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear or with a number of moist crumbs.
Enable desserts to chill for quarter-hour after which invert onto a cooling rack to chill fully earlier than frosting.
In a big mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar and use an electrical mixer to beat till clean and creamy.
8 oz (226 g) cream cheese, ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ¼ cup (50 g) gentle brown sugar
Add floor cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt, stir till mixed.
1 teaspoon floor cinnamon, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
With mixer on low velocity, regularly add powdered sugar till frosting is clean and creamy.
3 cups (375 g) powdered sugar
If desserts are domed or unlevel, degree desserts earlier than meeting. I do skinny layers of frosting between cake layers, a semi-naked frosting across the cake, after which ornamental swirls on prime utilizing an Ateco 846 or 848 tip.
All objective flour
You could substitute 3 cups/375 grams of cake flour for the all objective flour.
Baking in several cake pans
9” cake pans: bake for barely much less time, checking at 22-23 minutes.
Utilizing solely two 8” or 9” pans: Truffles will want roughly 30-35 minutes in 8” pans or roughly 25 minutes in 9” pans. (Be aware that pans should be deep sufficient – about 2”, don’t fill pans greater than ¾ full).
13×9 pan: Approximate bake time will probably be Half-hour.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 24 hours or within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 719kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 34g | Saturated Fats: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 12g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 357mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 832IU | Vitamin C: 0.02mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.