My easy Sourdough Bread recipe is ideal for having fun with by itself or utilizing for sandwiches! I’ll be strolling you intimately via each step so you may learn to make good sourdough like a professional. Recipe features a how-to video!
The Finest Sourdough Bread Recipe
This home made sourdough bread is the solely bread we eat in my family anymore. In truth, I make 2-3 loaves every week and preserve a stockpile in my freezer always! And when you attempt it… properly, I feel you’ll, too.
That’s as a result of there’s quite a bit to like about sourdough bread. In the beginning, it has a excessive dietary worth and not one of the components (no added sugar, both) you’ll discover in most store-bought breads. It additionally tastes wonderful: basic, hearty bread (that’s not overly bitter) with a thick, crusty exterior and a gentle, springy inside.
However what I feel you’ll love most about my recipe is how splendidly versatile it’s. It’s ultimate each for dipping in soup, serving as a facet with a salad, or utilizing as a sandwich; it additionally makes an superior grilled cheese that pairs superbly with my tomato soup!
Selfmade Bread is Simpler Than You Assume!
Making sourdough bread at house is shockingly straightforward, particularly in the event you use the sourdough starter I shared final week. It is time consuming and you could have endurance, however the work itself could be very approachable.
There’s no kneading concerned; as a substitute, we’ll use a straightforward course of often known as stretching and folding, which develops the gluten very like kneading would, however is best suited to increased hydration dough like sourdough. There’s additionally no mixer or fancy tools wanted with my recipe — you don’t even want a banneton or a Dutch oven, only a pair of bread pans!
I’m so excited to share this one with you (and I’ve been teasing it lengthy sufficient on Instagram, haven’t I?!), so let’s get began.
What You Want
My sourdough bread recipe has good taste, particularly contemplating there are so few elements. You have to:
- Sourdough starter. This may be home made or store-bought. Clearly, I like to recommend making your individual by utilizing my sourdough starter recipe (this does take over every week to organize, however it’s price it!).
- Bread flour. I actually suggest bread flour over all objective for this recipe. Bread flour has the next protein content material and produces a better-crumbed sourdough bread, for my part.
- Olive oil. A little bit of olive oil helps make the bread completely chewy and gentle. I additionally discover it retains my sourdough softer longer.
- Salt. Salt is essential for taste (unsurprisingly) however it additionally performs another necessary roles in sourdough bread. It helps stability the acidity from our starter, strengthens the gluten within the dough (necessary for form and texture), and it even helps prolong the shelf lifetime of the bread by performing as a pure preservative.
- Water. The water referred to as for in my recipe will yield a sourdough loaf that’s about 70% hydration. I really like this hydration stage; it produces a crumb that’s neither too dense nor too open, that’s not too bitter however continues to be flavorful, and that’s straightforward to form and intensely versatile — we use it for every little thing from dipping in pot pie soup to consuming sandwiches. When you’re snug baking a bread at this hydration stage, you may experiment with rising the water in the event you’d like. Extra water often yields a bread with a extra open crumb, a extra tangy taste, and a crumb that’s much less appropriate for sandwiches however good for dipping.
I wrote this sourdough bread recipe with weights as a result of I discover it’s the simplest technique to make it (similar to with my macaron recipe); nonetheless, I’ve included cup measurements as properly.
SAM’S TIP: Whereas some individuals wish to bake their sourdough bread in a dutch oven, I like to make use of a pair of bread pans. It doesn’t look as rustic this manner, however it’s way more sensible for my household to have a loaf of bread slightly than a spherical of it. When you’re staff Dutch oven, don’t fear–I present directions for how one can make sourdough bread in a Dutch oven beneath.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
The way to Make Sourdough Bread
Make the Dough
- Mix sourdough starter, water, and oil in a big bowl. Ensure your starter is energetic and bubbly earlier than including it.
- Add the bread flour and salt.
- Stir till largely mixed (your dough will nonetheless look shaggy). Don’t over-mix!
- Cowl and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
Stretching & Folding
- Kind your dough right into a ball utilizing your palms, the run your palms below cool water.
- Stretch the highest of the dough up and over the underside, then flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. I show this within the video beneath in the event you want a greater visible.
- Repeat the stretch and fold course of a complete of 4 instances, then cowl and place in a heat place to rise for half-hour.
- Let your dough rise till elevated in measurement by 80%, repeating the stretch and fold course of each half-hour.
- Deflate and kind your dough into an oblong form on a flippantly floured floor.
- Elevate the precise facet of the dough, fold it over to the middle, then repeat with the left facet (like folding a paper in thirds).
- Roll into a decent log beginning with the quick finish of the rectangle, then tuck the ends below.
- Place in a greased bread pan, cowl loosely, and place within the fridge to relaxation in a single day.
SAM’S TIP: I like to recommend proofing your dough within the fridge in a single day slightly than baking straight away (I additionally present directions for baking straight away, although). Proofing in a single day will assist develop the flavour, assist the bread rise higher, and encourage extra fermentation. That being mentioned, I don’t wish to let my dough sit within the fridge for longer than 48 hours (absolute max) earlier than baking. Letting it sit too lengthy could cause over-proofing and might compromise the ultimate texture of your sourdough bread. I additionally don’t freeze my dough earlier than baking, so I can’t advise on that.
- Let the dough relaxation at room temperature whereas your oven preheats.
- Rating the bread about ¼″ deep down the middle.
- Cowl with one other bread pan or an aluminum foil tent.
- Bake at 450F for half-hour, then take away the quilt and bake for 20-23 minutes or till the bread reaches 206-208F.
- Let the bread cool in its pan for quarter-hour.
- Take away the bread from the pan (rigorously, it’s nonetheless scorching!) and place on a cooling rack. Let the bread cool fully earlier than slicing.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t minimize into the bread whereas it’s nonetheless heat (I do know, so arduous, so tempting!). Doing this will make your loaf gummy and dense.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Sourdough is certainly one of many extra nutritious varieties of bread. It’s a prebiotic-rich meals made by fermenting dough with wild yeast and micro organism (sounds gross however in actuality is scrumptious) and is extra digestible than your customary white bread. It additionally has a decrease glycemic index and fewer gluten than regular bread.
Whereas a conventional sourdough bread recipe is clearly not gluten free, sourdough bread is usually tolerated by people who find themselves gluten delicate (however not individuals with Celiac Illness). It’s because among the gluten is consumed through the fermentation course of, which makes the bread extra simply digestible.
Comply with my recipe via the rolling and tucking step, then place in a flippantly floured banneton (I take advantage of my Kitchenaid mixer bowl lined with a flippantly floured kitchen towel, as a result of I don’t even have a banneton). Cowl and let rise in a single day within the fridge.
The following day, rigorously end up your dough onto a big piece of parchment paper and punctiliously decrease this right into a 4.5qt Dutch oven (a bigger one would work, however your bread might be flatter and can probably prepare dinner sooner). Enable the dough to sit down uncovered whereas the oven preheats, then rating, cowl with a lid, and observe recipe directions for baking.
I do know that there are a lot of sourdough bread recipes on the market and so many alternative methods to make it, however that is my private favourite model that I’ve rigorously developed over the previous 12 months. I can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it, I hope you’ll at all times wish to preserve a loaf in your home, too! ❤️
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! When you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Bread Recipe
Servings: 1 loaf
Forestall your display from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough starter, water, and olive oil. Stir till mixed.
⅔ cup energetic starter, 1 ⅓ cups heat, 1 ½ Tablesoons olive oil
Add bread flour and sprinkle salt overtop. Use your (clear) palms or a wood spoon to stir collectively till dough is generally mixed. It’s going to nonetheless be a bit shaggy and shouldn’t be cohesive (don’t over-mix) however no dry patches of flour ought to stay.
3 ⅔ cups bread flour, 2 teaspoons desk salt
Cowl bowl with plastic wrap and let sit undisturbed for one hour (that is the “autolyse” interval).
Stretch & Fold
Kind dough right into a ball together with your palms.
Run your palms below cool water (prevents sticking!) and grasp the highest of the dough and stretch it over the underside. Flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. Flip 90 levels and repeat once more, then as soon as extra (4 complete stretch & folds).
Enable dough to relaxation, lined, in a heat place for half-hour.
Repeat step 2 above each half-hour as dough rises.
Enable dough to rise (stretching and folding each half-hour as indicated) till dough has elevated in measurement about 80% (how lengthy this takes depends upon the temperature of your kitchen, usually mine is prepared inside 4-6 hours).
Forming the Dough
Frivolously grease a 9×5 loaf pan (with olive oil or butter) .
Oil for greasing pan
When dough has risen sufficiently, flip it out onto a clear, flippantly floured floor.
Extra flour for dusting work-surface
Use your palms to softly deflate the dough and pat it into an oblong form. Elevate the precise facet of the dough and fold it into the middle (nearly as in the event you had been closing a e-book). Then, raise the left facet of the dough and fold it over the primary fold (use a bench scraper if the dough is sticking to your counter).
Beginning with a thin finish, tightly roll the dough, as in the event you had been rolling up a cinnamon roll. Tuck the ends below and punctiliously switch to ready bread pan. Don’t fear if the bread doesn’t fill the pan proper now.
Cowl pan tightly with plastic wrap and switch to the fridge to relaxation in a single day/for 12-24 hours.
Take away sourdough from the fridge and preheat oven to 450F. Let oven preheat and dough relaxation (lined or uncovered) for at the very least 30-35 minutes earlier than continuing.
As soon as oven has preheated, uncover bread, make a clear slice (about ¼” deep) down the middle with a pointy knife or bread lame (to attain it) then cowl with one other 9×5 pan (in the event you don’t have a second pan, you could as a substitute make a makeshift oven utilizing aluminum foil; tent it as excessive because the bread pan is deep).
Switch to heart rack of preheated oven. Bake, lined, for half-hour then take away the lid and proceed to bake one other 20-23 minutes/till golden brown and the middle of bread reaches 206-208F (97C).
Enable bread to chill in pan for quarter-hour earlier than gently turning it out onto a cooling rack (cautious, the pan will nonetheless be scorching!) to chill for at the very least 1-2 hours (till it not feels heat) earlier than reducing into it.
To bake the identical day:
Comply with recipe via step 4 below the “Forming the Dough” part. Instantly after transferring dough to pan, preheat oven to 450F (230C). Enable dough to relaxation uncovered whereas oven preheats, at the very least half-hour. As soon as oven is preheated, observe instructions in recipe beginning with step 2 below the “Baking” part. Observe that bread is not going to be as flavorful or nutritious & texture is not going to be as nice if it’s not allowed to sit down within the fridge in a single day.
Storing & Freezing
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as every week.
You might also freeze this bread. Freeze the entire loaf by wrapping tightly in plastic wrap after which wrapping in foil. When able to thaw, preserve lined fully and defrost at room temperature earlier than unwrapping.
We favor to freeze pre-sliced: Reduce bread into slices and storing in a plastic Ziploc bag (take away as a lot air as you may earlier than freezing). When you battle with freezer burn or plan to freeze the bread longer than a couple of weeks, you may individually wrap every slice in plastic wrap earlier than closing within the plastic bag.
Serving: 1loaf | Energy: 1820kcal | Carbohydrates: 364g | Protein: 59g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Sodium: 4678mg | Potassium: 459mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.