These Sourdough Crackers have an unimaginable taste, because of sourdough discard. They’re skinny, crisp, and easy to make with simply 7 elements!
Sourdough Discard Crackers
Mild, crisp, and SO flavorful, sourdough crackers are a easy, but considerate snack. My recipe is made with sourdough discard, which suggests you’ll get a number of the well being advantages from sourdough whereas on the identical time lowering your meals waste (I principally hold a zero-waste sourdough starter in my home, I take advantage of the discard in the whole lot!). Win win!
My sourdough discard crackers have a deep, distinctive taste, and they’re a more healthy various to your customary cheese crackers. Whereas they’re completely high quality to take pleasure in on their very own (and an ideal snack for teenagers), you can too pair them with cheeses and meats on a charcuterie board, serve them alongside your favourite dip (I vote for spinach artichoke dip!), or crumble them over a bowl of soup.
3 issues to like about my recipe:
- Easy: simply 7 elements!
- Flavorful: tangy and complicated taste, with out the necessity for sugar.
- Nutritious: Due to complete wheat flour and sourdough discard.
What You Want
I really like how easy and unassuming the ingredient checklist seems. Every little thing you want is so fundamental, however the taste is basically unparalleled (I like these even higher than my cheddar-filled cheese crackers, in order that’s saying one thing!). Simply 7 easy elements:
- Sourdough discard. That is what you discard earlier than feeding your sourdough starter. Be sure you are utilizing discard from a starter that’s a minimum of per week previous; I don’t suggest utilizing it earlier than that point.
- Flour. I like to make use of a mix of complete wheat flour and common all-purpose flour. This provides the crackers a beautiful taste, colour, and a few well being advantages too!
- Oil. We’ll brush our sourdough crackers with olive oil earlier than baking. This helps crisp them up and encourages a light-weight golden brown end.
- Butter. Soften your butter, then let it calm down a bit earlier than including it. Be sure that to make use of unsalted butter, since we’re including desk salt into the dough and kosher salt on high of the crackers earlier than baking! I completely love the flavour that the butter provides to those crackers, I believe it’s what units them aside from each store-bought model I’ve ever tried.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t wish to bake your sourdough crackers instantly? You’ll be able to let the dough chill within the fridge for two days with out problem. Simply know that if you happen to do that, the dough shall be fairly agency and can possible want to sit down at room temperature for a minimum of 10-Quarter-hour earlier than it’s delicate sufficient to roll out.
Be aware that that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Easy methods to Make Sourdough Discard Crackers
- Stir collectively the discard, flours, butter, and desk salt till properly mixed. Dough must be clinging to itself and virtually Play-Do like in consistency. If the dough is simply too sticky to deal with, add extra flour, a Tablespoon at a time, till it’s manageable.
- Divide the dough into two items and kind every right into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill within the fridge for a minimum of half-hour.
- Unwrap one disk and roll to ⅛″ thickness on a frivolously floured floor. Switch to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Prick the dough throughout with a fork, brush with olive oil, after which reduce into 2″ squares. I take advantage of a pizza cutter for this step, it offers me good straight traces. And if you happen to’d like smaller crackers, by all means, reduce your squares smaller!
- Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt (or one other seasoning of your selection, the whole lot bagel seasoning is one other nice choice!).
- Bake at 375 till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes. Repeat with the second disk of dough.
SAM’S TIP: Be sure that to roll your dough to a constant thinness so your sourdough crackers bake uniformly.
Steadily Requested Questions
Sliced cheeses and meats, hummus, pepperoni pizza dip, and bacon jalapeño popper dip are only a few of my favourite pairings. You might additionally eat them as a fast (however filling!) snack with some tuna or rooster salad–sort of like a deconstructed sandwich!
In fact, crackers are additionally a traditional pairing with soups, particularly tomato soup, and these sourdough discard crackers are not any exception.
In case your sourdough discard crackers are delicate whereas they’re nonetheless heat, this isn’t essentially an issue. Nevertheless, if they’ve cooled fully and are nonetheless delicate, they could be a contact underbaked. Simply pop them again into the oven for a couple of minutes, and they need to crisp up!
There are various recipes that can dissipate your discard so that you don’t should throw it away. I like to make use of mine to make sourdough pancakes, brownies, banana bread, and chocolate chip cookies (recipes coming quickly!).
Need to add much more taste to your sourdough crackers? Swap the kosher salt topping with some the whole lot bagel seasoning (recipe coming quickly)!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe under! Should you do this recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Crackers (Made with Discard)
Servings: 55 2″ crackers
Stop your display screen from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough discard, each flours, melted butter, and desk salt.
1 cup (220 g) sourdough discard, ¾ cup (95 g) all-purpose flour, ½ cup (60 g) complete wheat flour, 6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, 1 scant teaspoon desk salt
Stir till properly mixed. If dough could be very sticky, add a bit extra flour till it’s manageable.
Divide dough into two items and kind every right into a disk. Wrap every half in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of half-hour.
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Take away one disk of dough from fridge and unwrap.
Place on a frivolously floured floor and use a rolling pin to roll dough to be beneath ⅛” thick (
Calmly brush throughout with olive oil, then use a pizza wheel or pastry cutter to chop into 2” squares (no have to separate the crackers).
Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Switch to middle rack of 375F (190C) oven and bake till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Olive oil, Kosher salt
Repeat steps 5-8 with second disk of dough.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 weeks.
Serving: 12″ cracker | Energy: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 0.5g | Fats: 1g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 0.3mg | Potassium: 6mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.01g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 0.1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.