There’s an excellent likelihood that you have already got the whole lot it is advisable make this straightforward Victoria Sponge Cake in your pantry! This traditional sponge cake recipe is irresistibly mushy, spongy, and excellent for layering with scrumptious jam and cream filling.
A Easy Sponge Cake Recipe
So, full disclosure: I say “easy” right here as in, this Victoria sponge cake is SO easy to make. However the texture and style are something however. In truth, if there’s one dessert that you just’ll need to carry to all of your summertime get-togethers this yr, that is it.
This traditional Victoria sponge cake recipe is just like the British cousin of my Spanish-inspired Tres Leches Cake. It’s mushy and moist, full of fluffy do-it-yourself whipped cream and my favourite raspberry jam. The irresistibly spongy crumb melts away with each chunk. I layer my cake with filling after which mud the highest with powdered sugar. Perfection!
Why is that this referred to as a Victoria sponge cake? It is a conventional recipe that’s layered with jam and whipped cream (or buttercream). It’s named after Queen Victoria, who loved a slice of cake every single day together with her afternoon tea. Who am I to cross up the possibility to eat like royalty?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
What makes this the perfect sponge cake?
- Straightforward, but spectacular. There’s a motive this cake recipe is match for a Queen. It’s lush and flavorful, but someway insanely straightforward to make with solely 4 elements. It’s a deal with for the eyes and tastebuds.
- Versatile. Each kitchen wants a traditional, excellent sponge cake recipe (IMHO). Whether or not you’re whipping collectively this cake on the weekend or baking it for a special day or vacation, it’s actually a must have cake recipe. Commerce out the filling, frost it, flip it right into a poke cake – the probabilities are infinite.
- Berries and cream goodness. I really like the mixture of candy raspberry jam and fluffy whipped cream between the moist, tender cake layers. It’s excellent for summer time, and all yr spherical.
What Is a Sponge Cake?
As you could have guessed by the identify, a sponge cake is a light-weight and fluffy, spongy cake. Like a Pound Cake, a sponge cake is made with easy elements: primarily butter, sugar, eggs, and flour, although not in the identical portions. The feel of a sponge cake is extra delicate, as you’ll see with this Victoria sponge recipe.
Elements You’ll Want
You can also make an ideal sponge cake with solely 4 straightforward pantry elements, plus a pinch of salt and a few vanilla. Here’s a fast overview of what you’ll have to make this cake and its filling. Keep in mind to scroll to the printable recipe card for the complete quantities and particulars.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter, simply be sure it’s at room temperature.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is finest for a sponge cake and yields essentially the most persistently gentle, ethereal crumb.
- Vanilla: I extremely advocate utilizing an actual vanilla extract quite than the imitation form.
- Eggs: Eggs are key to a mushy, moist sponge cake. Alongside along with your butter, take your eggs out of the fridge to allow them to come to room temperature. Whisk them collectively earlier than you begin in order that they’re good a fluffy.
- Flour: For this sponge cake, I take advantage of self-rising flour. All-purpose flour may also work.
- Heavy Whipping Cream and Powdered Sugar: Two elements for making the best do-it-yourself whipped cream ever. You may also use store-bought whipped cream in case you’re pressed for time.
- Jam: Historically strawberry or raspberry. I selected raspberry jam, however both one tastes scrumptious, and you’ll actually use any taste of jam or preserves that you just’d like. See additional within the put up for simple variation concepts.
- Recent Berries: If raspberries are in season, I really like so as to add them as a garnish.
Tips on how to Make a Sponge Cake
The great thing about this straightforward sponge cake recipe is that the batter comes collectively within the time it takes to preheat the oven. Change your oven to 350ºF, and let’s get began:
- Mix the Batter Elements: Start by creaming collectively the butter and sugar, plus a pinch of salt. Subsequent, slowly beat within the vanilla adopted by your whisked eggs. After a couple of minute, steadily add the flour. Do your finest to not overmix the batter.
- Bake: Divide the cake batter between two greased and lined baking pans, then bake at 350ºF for 17-20 minutes. The highest of your cake must be golden, and the middle of the sponge ought to spring again once you press it gently along with your finger.
- Cool: Your muffins might want to cool to room temperature earlier than you possibly can add the filling. Go away them to chill for about 10 minutes within the pan earlier than inverting the muffins onto a wire rack to complete cooling fully.
- Put together the Filling: As soon as your muffins are cooled, you’ll whip up a fast and straightforward do-it-yourself whipped cream. To take action, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar collectively on excessive till you attain stiff peaks.
- Stack the Desserts: Beginning with the primary cake layer, unfold a thick layer of jam over high, adopted by the whipped cream. Fastidiously high this with the second cake layer. I prefer to mud the highest of my Victoria sponge cake with powdered sugar and recent berries. The way you garnish yours is completely as much as you!
Suggestions for Success
Preserve the following pointers in thoughts when making this moist and spongy do-it-yourself cake from scratch:
- Use room-temperature elements. Elements like eggs and butter mix extra easily after they aren’t chilly from the fridge. Your cake may also bake extra evenly.
- Beat the eggs nicely earlier than you begin. Including quantity to the eggs is what makes a sponge cake mushy and fluffy, as a substitute of dense and, nicely, eggy.
- Don’t overmix your cake elements. Combine the batter solely till the flour is simply mixed. Overly beating the batter will yield a troublesome, denser cake.
- Keep away from overbaking the cake. Begin checking your cake for doneness on the earliest steered baking time in order that it doesn’t overbake. Overbaking will dry out the cake.
- Degree the cake. In case your baked cake has risen quite a bit within the center, you possibly can trim the dome from the underside layer in order that your second cake layer stacks evenly. Another choice is to invert the underside layer in order that the sleek, flat aspect faces upwards.
After you have an ideal sponge cake recipe in your repertoire, there’s no restrict to the variations which you can strive! Listed here are some concepts:
- Completely different Jams: Use your favourite jams and fruit preserves rather than raspberry jam within the filling. Different choices are strawberry or blueberry jam, orange marmalade, or lemon preserves.
- Buttercream: One other conventional filling for a Victoria sponge cake is Buttercream. Strive it rather than whipped cream! You would even use strawberry jam and Roasted Strawberry Buttercream for a enjoyable twist.
- Toppings: I high this cake with recent raspberries, however you possibly can garnish it with any kind of recent fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or any mixture thereof).
- Sauces: Nobody is stopping you from drizzling your cake with chocolate sauce, and even do-it-yourself Caramel Sauce or Strawberry Syrup.
Tips on how to Retailer Do-it-yourself Sponge Cake
Because of the whipped cream filling, your completed sponge cake will have to be refrigerated. The cake will hold hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Can I Freeze Sponge Cake?
Sure, in case you’re making this recipe forward, I discover that it’s finest to freeze the person baked sponge muffins earlier than you add the filling. Nevertheless, it’s also possible to freeze the assembled cake. Wrap the sponge cake tightly in plastic wrap, both complete or in slices. I like to recommend including an additional layer of foil to assist shield the cake from freezer burn. Afterward, retailer the sponge cake frozen for as much as 3 months, and thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Straightforward Cake Recipes
Victoria Sponge Cake is a standard sponge cake recipe that’s mushy, spongy, and made with easy elements. Good for layering with jam and do-it-yourself whipped cream!
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 giant eggs, whisked at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
Optionally available – recent raspberries to garnish
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat two 8- inch spherical cake pans with baking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper rounds. Coat once more and put aside.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, and salt collectively on medium-high pace for two minutes. Add within the vanilla after which the whisked eggs slowly, scraping down the edges of the bowl as obligatory. Combine for 1 minute.
- Flip the mixer to low pace and slowly combine within the flour till simply mixed and the batter is clean. Divide the batter between the ready cake pans and clean with a spatula.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or till the highest is golden brown, the cake springs again when gently pressed within the middle, and the sides are beginning to draw back from the edges of the pan. Cool the cake within the pan for 10 minutes after which invert onto a wire rack to chill fully, peeling the parchment paper off the cake.
- Filling: Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine the cream and powdered sugar collectively on excessive pace for 1 minute, or till stiff peaks kind.
- Place one cake on a cake plate and high with raspberry jam. Unfold the whipped cream on high of the jam and place the remaining cake layer on high.
- Garnish: Mud the highest of the cake with powdered sugar and prepare recent berries on high or across the cake.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: sponge cake, victoria sponge cake, sponge cake recipe