Showcasing candy and juicy peaches effervescent beneath a toasted pecan oat streusel, peach crisp takes lower than half the effort and time required for conventional peach pie. Served heat with chilly vanilla ice cream, summer time dessert doesn’t get a lot better than this!
This peach crisp combines a mountain of jammy, juicy summer time peaches below candy and crumbly oat streusels. It additionally requires a mountain of willpower to not eat the whole pan. Belief me, I’ve made this not less than 3x every summer time since 2015 and there are by no means any leftovers. It’s the *greatest* peach dessert. (Sorry, peach pie.)
One reader, Tammy, commented: “This needs to be the very best peach crisp recipe I’ve ever made or had. We completely beloved it. It was easy and I had all of the components available. Was a good way to make use of up the remainder of our beautiful, contemporary Georgia peaches. This recipe goes in my private cookbook to make repeatedly. ★★★★★“
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Peach Crisp
- Showcase Recent Peaches: That is the right recipe for peaches to shine throughout peak season.
- Simpler Than Pie: I completely adore peach pie, however there’s little question that do-it-yourself pie is a labor of affection. Typically we’d like a crowd-pleasing dessert that’s simpler, however simply as seasonal and spectacular. On this peach crisp, you’re swapping pie crust for a simple oat pecan streusel topping.
- Great Mixture of Textures: Thick, mushy, juicy peach filling + crispy, nutty, toasted topping.
- Filled with Taste: Whereas the peaches steal the highlight, they’re enhanced by a supporting forged of brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, lemon, and vanilla—which work collectively to ship a caramelized taste you’ll love.
- No Eggs: One other egg-free baking recipe.
- No Ready: You don’t have to attend for something to come back to room temperature, chill, or cool! It is a crowd-pleasing dessert you may prep, bake, and serve in about an hour.
Fruit crisps, akin to this strawberry vanilla crisp and my apple crisp, are the indeniable dessert champions as they solely require a baking dish, fruit, and streusel. They usually have a lot texture in every heat chew. No must soiled your rolling pin!
Not a fan of an oat topping? You’ll love this fan-favorite peach cobbler as a substitute.
Elements to Use & Why
- Recent Peaches: You want about 2 to 2 1/2 kilos of peaches, or about 6 medium-size peaches, minimize into slices. Peeling them is non-obligatory. See under for info on the very best peaches to make use of.
- Flour: All-purpose is greatest right here. You’ll use flour in each the filling and the topping.
- Sugar: You want granulated sugar for the filling and brown sugar for the topping.
- Salt: For its flavor-enhancing superpowers.
- Lemon Juice: The filling tastes just a little flat with out it.
- Vanilla Extract: I really like utilizing vanilla on this strawberry vanilla crisp, and it’s nice on this recipe too.
- Cinnamon: Heat cinnamon spice and peach desserts go hand-in-hand.
- Butter: To forestall it from melting too quickly and dropping texture, use very chilly butter. This can give the topping that unimaginable crumbly texture, when the items of chilly butter hit the new oven and soften everywhere in the peach crisp. I take the butter out of the fridge, minimize it into cubes, after which place the cubed butter within the freezer for about 10–quarter-hour earlier than I would like it.
- Oats: Complete rolled oats are greatest on this crisp topping, however fast oats work too.
- Pecans: Chop up some unsalted pecans for the topping. You possibly can go away them out for a nut-free dessert.
- Vanilla Ice Cream (for Serving): Non-compulsory, however strongly inspired! The best way the ice cream begins melting when it hits that heat peach crisp is nearly probably the most mouthwatering dessert expertise I can consider!
Need to stage up your peach crisp? Attempt my brown butter blueberry peach skillet crisp.
Making Peach Crisp Is as Simple as 1, 2, 3
- Mix filling components, and unfold in a calmly greased baking dish. You should utilize just about any 9-inch or 2- to 2.5-quart baking dish, akin to a deep-dish 9-inch pie dish, 10-inch cast iron skillet, or a 9-inch sq. baking pan. It is a smaller dimension pan than the one wanted for this apple crisp.
- Mix topping components. Whisk collectively the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, then use a pastry cutter or forks to work the chilly cubed butter into the dry components, breaking it down into pea-sized items. The combination ought to be crumbly. Stir the oats and chopped pecans into the topping combination *after* you narrow within the butter. You don’t need them to interrupt down an excessive amount of. This is similar manner we make the topping for bourbon cherry crisp. Sprinkle the topping everywhere in the filling. After which…
- BAKE. That’s it! The peaches launch their juices, the juices bubble up, the topping turns into crunchy and toasted. And also you don’t even have to attend for it to chill down, as a result of you may dig into this peach crisp whereas it’s heat. YUM!
All of the tasty perks of a conventional peach pie in a fraction of the time.
It’ll look like loads of topping, however understand that loads of it seeps down into that juicy peach layer.
You should utilize any number of peaches, yellow or white, however you need barely agency (not exhausting) peaches with no bruises or mushy spots. Your greatest guess is to buy or decide about 10 agency peaches (about 3 kilos), then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have mushy spots after this time, so that’s the reason I counsel shopping for a pair greater than you really need. Eat any overly mushy peaches or use them in peach muffins.
It is a nice query, and I undoubtedly wish to reply it for anybody questioning. Peach crisp and peach cobbler each showcase peaches, however they’ve totally different toppings. Peach crisp features a buttery streusel-like oat crumb topping, whereas peach cobbler usually has a thicker, extra substantial biscuit topping. Each are simpler than pie!
Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches aren’t best as a result of they’re already too mushy and mushy.
You may make this peach crisp with out oats utilizing many of the identical precise components. Use the topping from apple crumble pie. Don’t over-mix—it would turn into a paste when you over-mix. Use the identical oven temperature and bake time as under.
This buttery peach crisp combines candy and juicy peaches with brown sugar cinnamon oat streusel. Toasty pecans add just a little crunch whereas vanilla ice cream provides a stunning distinction to the nice and cozy peach filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Calmly grease a deep-dish 9-inch pie dish, 9-inch sq. pan, 10-inch cast iron skillet, or any 2–2.5-quart baking dish. Put aside.
- Gently combine the entire filling components collectively in a big bowl, then unfold into the baking dish.
- Make the topping: Whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Lower within the butter utilizing a pastry cutter or forks till the combination is crumbly. Fold within the oats and pecans. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes till the topping is golden brown and the fruit juices are effervescent across the edges. Take away from the oven, place on a wire rack, and permit to chill for a couple of minutes earlier than serving heat. You can even serve room temperature or chilly.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: I don’t suggest getting ready and refrigerating the crisp, unbaked, as a result of the filling will turn into further juicy the longer it sits. You possibly can, nevertheless, put together the topping as much as 2 days prematurely and canopy and refrigerate it till wanted. Baked crisp freezes nicely for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then heat in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 20 minutes or till heated by way of.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Vegetable/Fruit Peeler | 9-inch Square Baking Dish, 10-inch Cast Iron Skillet (or comparable dimension) | Glass Mixing Bowl | Pastry Cutter | Cooling Rack
- Replace in 2023: After making this peach crisp so usually, I made a couple of slight tweaks to the unique 2015 recipe. I decreased the sugar within the filling from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup as a result of it was just a little too candy. I additionally added some lemon juice to brighten up the flavour. And eventually, I decreased the butter from 8 to six Tablespoons, so the crisp topping holds up higher.
- Baking Pan: Any baking pan that holds about 2–2.5 quarts is greatest. You can additionally divide the filling and oat topping up into particular person oven-safe ramekins. Bake them on a baking sheet. The bake time and yield is determined by their dimension, however bake till the topping is calmly browned and peach filling bubbles up across the sides.
- Gluten Free: For a gluten-free crisp, use my recipe for gluten-free apple crisp and exchange sliced apples with sliced peaches.
- Can I Use Frozen or Canned Peaches? Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches aren’t best as a result of they’re already too mushy and mushy.