Chief veterinary officer for Wales, Richard Irvine, has mentioned housing measures for poultry and captive birds are to be lifted on 18th April. Nevertheless, fowl homeowners ought to proceed to observe rigorous hygiene and biosecurity.
Whereas avian influenza threat ranges to poultry and captive birds have lowered, the danger of outbreaks stays.
Enhanced biosecurity necessities which have been introduced in as a part of the Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) in December will keep in place. This features a mandatory biosecurity self-assessment checklist to be undertaken by all poultry and captive fowl keepers.
The Welsh Authorities mentioned it has labored intently with companions throughout Nice Britain, the trade and keepers to make sure proportionate biosecurity measures have been in place to assist hold flocks secure. The housing measures have been an necessary software in defending birds from avian influenza, which continues to flow into in wild birds.
Fowl keepers are being inspired to make use of the subsequent week to arrange for launch of their birds – notably their outside areas, together with cleansing and disinfecting tools.
Richard Irvine mentioned: “I do know this shall be welcome information for fowl keepers, who’ve housed their birds since December, and I need to thank them for all their efforts in maintaining their flocks secure.
“What is crucial now’s that keepers, whether or not or not it’s for just a few birds or 1000’s, hold practising rigorous hygiene and biosecurity measures to forestall outbreaks of avian influenza.
“This consists of persevering with to finish the obligatory biosecurity self-assessment guidelines to assist keepers determine what is required to guard their birds.
“It’s additionally very important everybody stays vigilant for any indicators of illness of their birds and wild birds, experiences it and seeks recommendation instantly if they’ve any considerations.”
The Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ), which covers all of Wales, stays in place. As earlier than, this requires keepers of poultry and different captive birds to take applicable and practicable steps to forestall avian influenza, together with:
- Conserving stored birds off land that’s recognized to be, or at excessive threat of being, frequented by wild waterfowl, or contaminated by their droppings or feathers.
- Make sure the areas the place birds are stored are unattractive to wild birds, particularly waterfowl, for instance, by netting ponds and surrounding areas and by eradicating wild fowl meals sources;
- Feed and water birds in enclosed areas to discourage wild birds;
- Minimise motion of individuals out and in of fowl enclosures;
- Clear and disinfect footwear, use foot dips earlier than coming into poultry enclosures, and hold areas the place birds dwell clear and tidy;
- Guarantee all bedding, tools, clothes and the rest that enters the areas the place birds are stored are freed from direct or oblique contamination with HPAI, which is principally unfold by means of fowl droppings.
- Hold home geese and geese separate from different poultry.
The Welsh Authorities mentioned all of those steps are necessary in defending birds. Alongside these, finishing the mandatory biosecurity self-assessment can additional assist keepers determine the measures wanted to be taken to make sure the protection of their flock.