This recipe for wholesome blueberry banana muffins has lived on my web site since 2013. I’ve made just a few adjustments to the unique recipe, and might guarantee you they’re higher than ever! They’re splendidly healthful and smooth, and are fast and straightforward to make and not using a mixer. Each chew is stuffed with juicy blueberries and candy banana taste, and you need to use nondairy milk to maintain the muffins dairy free.
In relation to muffins, do you will have a favourite taste? There are such a lot of totally different varieties on the market, from egg muffins to chocolate muffins, that it’s just about unimaginable to decide on. It’s a part of the explanation I developed this muffin recipe as a base batter for infinite flavors! But when banana muffins and blueberry muffins are each in your Prime 5, let me inform you…
Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Blueberry Banana Muffins
Huge, sugary dessert-like muffins are an exquisite deal with (taking a look at you, pumpkin crumb cake muffins!) however a more healthy muffin that’s additionally simple to make and fabulously scrumptious is the kind I select on a weekly foundation. At present’s recipe is a favourite kid-friendly baking recipe (simple to combine & fast to bake), and so they freeze splendidly.
On the identical word, each time a reader asks me for kid-friendly recipes which are additionally on the more healthy finish of the baked items spectrum, I at all times recommend muffins. Muffins are fast, manageable, moveable, acceptable for breakfast and snack time, and normally require little or no clean-up.
These blueberry banana muffins match the invoice. They’re simply candy sufficient so children gobble them up, however are made with better-for-you substances like complete wheat flour, coconut oil, and bananas.
Key Elements You Want & Why:
- Flour: I recommend utilizing white-whole wheat flour or a mix of all-purpose and complete wheat flour (I normally use a cup of every). When you use ALL complete wheat flour, count on a denser texture.
- Mashed Banana: Banana naturally sweetens the muffins. Identical to if you’re making banana bread, it’s greatest to make use of tremendous brown, speckled bananas—the riper, the higher. You need to use frozen and thawed bananas, too. See Easy methods to Freeze & Thaw Bananas for Baking for some ideas.
- Brown Sugar: The style and texture advantages from a little bit brown sugar. If you wish to skip all refined sugars, you may substitute coconut sugar.
- Honey or Pure Maple Syrup: Honey or maple syrup finally ends up the job of sweetening these muffins, and provides some moisture as nicely.
- Coconut Oil: As an alternative of butter or vegetable oil, use melted coconut oil. You possibly can at all times depend on oil to maintain your baked items moist, particularly after they’re made with drying substances like complete wheat flour.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binder for the substances, and likewise helps hold the muffins smooth.
- Milk: You need to use any sort of milk, dairy or nondairy, you will have readily available. I normally use almond or oat milk to make these muffins.
- Blueberries: Can’t have blueberry banana muffins with out blueberries! You need to use both contemporary or frozen berries right here. If utilizing frozen, don’t thaw.
You additionally want these baking fundamentals: baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
Don’t like banana? Strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute.
At present’s muffin batter comes collectively in simply minutes with easy kitchen instruments: a pair mixing bowls, a whisk, a spatula, and a muffin pan. (When you want a advice, this muffin pan and this muffin pan have each held up nicely with very common use.)
Anticipate a thick batter. As with ALL muffin recipes, don’t over-mix it! Solely combine the batter till the moist and dry substances are *simply mixed* and no extra flour pockets stay. Over-mixing your batter will activate the gluten within the flour and overdevelop it, deflating the air bubbles within the course of. This ends in a tricky, arduous, dense muffin—not smooth and fluffy like you’re aiming for.
Let’s not neglect these blueberries. Add a heaping cup (extra like a cup and 1 / 4) of contemporary or frozen blueberries to the batter. When you’re utilizing frozen blueberries, don’t allow them to thaw, or else you should have some muddy-purple muffins that look a bit much less interesting! Fold them in gently with a spatula, so that they’re evenly distributed within the batter.
I really like sprinkling the tops of the muffins with a little bit coarse sugar earlier than baking, a final touch I at all times add when making these wholesome apple muffins, too.
3 Useful Suggestions
- Anticipate a semi-thick batter. Thick batter helps make sure the muffins elevate UP reasonably than unfold OUT.
- Add an optionally available coarse sugar topping. You need to use coconut sugar, one thing like Sugar within the Uncooked, or glowing coarse sugar (normally bought as sprinkles). Or don’t add something in any respect, the muffins are lots scrumptious and not using a topping!
- Bake at an initially excessive oven temperature. Bake the muffins for five minutes in a extremely popular oven. Then, retaining the muffins within the oven, decrease the oven temperature. This preliminary excessive oven temperature rapidly lifts up the muffin high. As soon as the temperature is lowered, the facilities of the muffins bake. I do that in all my muffin recipes.
Are These Blueberry Banana Muffins Wholesome?
I’d say these are a healthy-ish muffin. Like my flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies, they’re made with some more healthy alternate options to conventional baking substances, however nonetheless embrace sugar. In relation to labeling recipes as wholesome, use the perfect judgment for YOU.
I Have Loads of More healthy Muffin Recipes:
These are smooth and moist blueberry banana muffins made with just a few more healthy substances like complete wheat flour, mashed bananas, coconut oil as a substitute of butter, and a little bit honey. See Notes for freezing directions and find out how to make mini muffins.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. (When you want a advice, this muffin pan and this muffin pan have each held up nicely with very common use.) Put aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt collectively. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. As soon as mashed, whisk within the brown sugar, honey/maple syrup, coconut oil, egg, vanilla, and milk till mixed.
- Pour the moist substances into the dry substances and whisk till every part is simply mixed. Fold within the blueberries. Anticipate a semi-thick batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups, filling all of them the way in which to the highest.
- Bake for five minutes at 425°F (218°C); then, retaining the muffins within the oven, scale back warmth to 350°F (177°C) and proceed baking for one more 15–18 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. The entire time these muffins take within the oven is about 20–23 minutes, give or take. (For mini or jumbo muffins, see Notes for baking directions.)
- Enable the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, after which switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep contemporary lined at room temperature for just a few days, or within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins in a freezer-friendly container or bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then heat up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Rely Muffin Pan (like this one or this one) | Cupcake Liners | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Rubber Spatula | Cooling Rack
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I like to recommend for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a extremely popular temperature. Then, retaining the muffins within the oven, swap to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will rapidly elevate the muffin tops so that they’re additional excessive, then the facilities will bake in the course of the decrease temperature bake time. This trick makes lovely bakery-style muffins each time.
- Milk: You need to use any milk, dairy or nondairy.
- For a jumbo muffin pan: 425°F for five minutes, then scale back to 350°F for 22–25 minutes for a complete of 27–half-hour. Makes about 6. For mini muffins: 350°F (complete time) for 12–14 minutes. Makes about 36–40.
- Loaf Pan: I haven’t personally examined it this recipe as a loaf, however the quantity of batter is sufficient for a 9×5-inch loaf pan. I’m not sure of the perfect bake time, however you may observe this zucchini bread recipe as a information.
- Up to date in 2023: I made a pair small updates to the recipe, so the muffins are extra moist and flavorful. To make the previous model, omit the baking powder, vanilla, and coconut oil. Add 1/4 cup (60g) Greek yogurt and one other 1/2 cup (about 63g) of flour.
- Serving Dimension: 1 muffin
- Energy: 195
- Sugar: 17.7 g
- Sodium: 171.4 mg
- Fats: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Key phrases: blueberry banana muffins